The Book Depository BlogRSS
Fri, 20 Jul 2012 10:19
There's always that one book -- the book you've read 50 times, the book that changed your life, your favourite book. We would like to see you read your favourite book in your favourite place to read -- be it your bed, Ayers rock/[update]Uluru, a hammock or the bottom of the ocean. We will gather your submissions and create a wall of your photographs to feature in our new office space!
Post a hi res, original size image of yourself with your favourite book in your favourite place to read here and be in with a chance to win a retro Olympus E-PL1 Compact System camera (Black with 14-42mm black lens kit). We'll decide a short-list of 12 after the competition closes, post that list on flickr and then pick a winner from them.
Update: Please don't submit images of just books. Your photos should show you reading your favourite book! Submit something interesting, exciting, creative! Let your imagination run wild!
1) Visit the flickr group page we've set up, join the group and submit your ONE photo.
2) Enter the photo's title and your details in the answer box below.
Competition closes Monday 27th August at 5pm GMT
Update: the shortlist is now available here.
Thank you all so much for participating & sharing your favourite books with us!
Competition now closed
Posted by Anna
Your favourite book
- 1. No purchase necessary. Proof of entering is not proof of receipt of entry.
2. To be eligible, entries must be received on or before the competition closing date. All entries shall become the property of The Book Depository, and their directors, officers, representatives, advertising and promotional agencies are not responsible for contacting or forwarding prizes to entrants who provide unclear or incomplete information or for entries lost, misdirected, delayed or destroyed.
3. The competition is open to all. Parents/guardians must submit the entry for those under the age of 16. Images must not contain photographs of minors without an adult's consent.
4. The prize winner will be decided by The Book Depository. The Book Depository will not enter into correspondence about the choice of winner.
5. The competition ends as specified on the competition page -- no entry received after that time will be considered. The winner will be announced as specified on the competition page. There is one prize
6. The promoter reserves the right to amend the specification of the prize or offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
7. The prize winner will be notified by telephone/email. If the selected entrant does not meet all of the contract conditions, another entrant will be selected from the remaining eligible entries.
8. The competitions are not open to employees of The Book Depository and their sponsors or their immediate families.
9. By entering the contest, entrants, consent to the use of their names, city of residence, photograph and/or image for publicity purposes in all media carried out by The Book Depository, without payment or compensation.
10. The decisions of the contest judges are final. The prize must be accepted as awarded.
11. The right is reserved to terminate or withdraw this contest at any time.
12. All entries become the property of The Book Depository, who assume no responsibility for lost, stolen, delayed, damaged or misdirected entries or for any failure of the website during the promotional period, for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or entry to be received by The Book Depository on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or any website, or any combination thereof including any injury or damage to an entrant's or any other person's computer related to or resulting from playing or downloading any material in the promotion. The Book Depository reserve the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel or suspend the email portion of this contest should a virus or bug or other cause beyond the reasonable control of The Book Depository corrupt the security or proper administration of the contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of this promotion is a violation of criminal and civil laws, and should such an attempt be made, The Book Depository reserve the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution. Entries are subject to verification and will be declared invalid if they are illegible, mechanically reproduced, mutilated, forged, falsified, altered or tampered within any way. Entrants agree to abide by the Contest Rules and the decisions of the independent judging panel, which are final.
13. Entries must be submitted by the named entrant (or their parent/guardian for children aged 16 or under) and will be invalid if found to come from a third party. Multiple entries from a single source (e.g 'competition entry' website/company) will be disqualified.
14. For name/county of prize winner, please send a stamped addressed envelope marked The Book Depository, Royal Albert House, Sheet Street, Windsor, SL4 1BE. No entries should be sent to this address.
15. Entry to the competition is conditional on acceptance of these terms and conditions.
17. The Promoters have organised these prize draws in good faith and do not accept liability relating to the prize.
CommentsShowing 1 to 25 of 59 results
Showing 1 to 25 of 59 results
What does the runner-up get? I'm glad Lee's entry won - at least it's tasteful albeit slightly anti-feminist and that's what spoils my glee.
- Posted Mon, 01 Oct 2012 15:41 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
- Rafael Villar
sometimes when I read...
- Posted Tue, 04 Sep 2012 00:17 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
Why is it taking so long to post the short-list on flickr? I'm really interested to see who is the lucky winner!
- Posted Mon, 03 Sep 2012 02:23 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
- Juliet Ulehake
So excited for the list of the 12 people with a chance to win! Loved this competition!
- Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 16:50 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
- Natalie Thomson
When do we find out the winner? I'm so excited!
- Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 23:48 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
- Tahnée Engelen
My new Flickr account does not yet show pictures public in groups, I added a picture to the group, but I'm not sure it's visible (and thus entered in the compitition).
- Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 14:46 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
I really hope I win. I'm starting to take up photography classes in September and this camera is exactly what I need! :)
- Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 12:54 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
That's very challenging competition:) So many entries without a reader. Dozens of Potter's fans. Couple of loos (sic!), generally people on the loose;) Some very imaginative pictures. Few are fantastic! absolutely delightful. So far no Bible, but no Memoirs of Hitler either (thanks God!:) Who will win? Best photo? Best book? Best reader?... Photographer or designer?.. And what exactly you mean by 'hi res'? Just decent photo? more then 2.. 3MP?... Since you go for creativity why to skip Kindle books? Kindle is perfect for my fav book of all the times: The Diamond Age: Or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson. Don't you sell ebooks for Kindle?... :) At least one person managed to actually show his ebook's content on Kindle. But will reader's hands, lap be enough for a 'reader'?... Does just the feet, silhouette count for the 'image of the reader'? Well, how many times we ARE in the picture but partially...
- Posted Thu, 09 Aug 2012 19:31 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
Good My soso
- Posted Tue, 07 Aug 2012 00:19 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
- Dumith Asanka Liyanage
Well I always go for music books. I might change my mind for other books in future....
- Posted Sun, 05 Aug 2012 11:54 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
- victoria phillips
Call me a tragic cliche, but Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone is still my favourite book of all time. When I picked it up, I wasn't just opening to the first page, I opened a new part of myself.
- Posted Sun, 05 Aug 2012 11:36 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
- E. Hedger
My favourite book - BATTLE FOR THE PRESIDENT'S ELEPHANTS - by Sharon Pincott in Hwange, Zimbabwe. Wildlife/elephant/Africa-lovers, you will RELISH it.
- Posted Sun, 05 Aug 2012 10:29 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
Couldn't chose between Department 19 1 + 2 or Skulduggery Pleasant (Whole Series). Really sorry if my picture isn't high res, this is the best i can do with my camera :(
- Posted Sun, 05 Aug 2012 09:11 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
- Isabell Clements
I can be anywhere when reading a book, because the author provides me with where i really want to be :) http://www.flickr.com/photos/84122762@N02/7702347474/in/pool-2009995@N20
- Posted Fri, 03 Aug 2012 05:46 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
Joanna, that's up to you but if it's a Kindle you won't be able to share which book you are reading.
- Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:38 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
Hi Anna Maria, I'm afraid we are not able to administrate this through our own website. You can post a photograph with a Yahoo or Facebook account as well. Sorry for any inconvenience.
- Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:37 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
Hello bazilahza, this competition is open to everyone :)
- Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:34 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
- anna maria cherubini
Why on Flickr? It requires registering, one should give one's personal data once more and for nothing.
- Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 00:58 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
A Casual Love Affair. :)
- Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:29 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
Hi, is the competition allowed for non-UK residents?
- Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 19:42 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
- Joanna Feng
I'm reading on my Amazon Kindle... can I post that in my photo or must it be a physical book?
- Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 03:42 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
I love to show the one I'm reading once again!
- Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 20:37 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
Hi Andrew, images must not contain photographs of minors without an adult's consent. We will amend the terms to make this more clear.
- Posted Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:25 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
- Shannon Nelson
Easy read, enjoyed it
- Posted Wed, 25 Jul 2012 12:19 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
- Pam Neese
Greater Than Yourself by Steve Farber
- Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 21:14 Mark as unsuitable? Under review
Write a Comment
- 1. No purchase necessary. Proof of entering is not proof of receipt of entry.
- The Book Depository Team
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
View more team members >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Kieron MD The Book Depository View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Will IT Director View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >