Book Depository BlogRSS
Mon, 11 Jul 2011 07:05
As you may imagine, the Book Depository basement office is chock full of computer geeks and nerds who are, unsurprisingly, quite interested in scifi and fantasy books. 23 out of the 24 hours in a day are spent hunch-backed over glowing screens or 3 inch thick fantasy books. What sunlight these Morlocks ever see is only and inevitably compared to the twin suns of Tatooine.
But when asked, in a poll, for their favourite scifi books we got back a list of some pretty impressive titles. (See below) However, when asked for their top ten Fantasy books, a vicious fight broke out and they ended up fighting to the death with daggers and swords in proper Conan stylee. (Only, in an online world, of course)
So, what's your favourite fantasy books? Real names not allowed, WoW only.
CommentsShowing 1 to 8 of 8 results
Showing 1 to 8 of 8 results
- Michael O'Brien
A generation earlier it would have been no contest -- we would simply have had two books each by Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein, Wells and Jules Verne. Problem solved.
- Posted Sat, 17 Sep 2011 13:56
- sharon livingstone
Jasper Fforde's "Shades of Grey" is far too quirky to appeal to the run-of-the-mill basement dwelling computer nerd. But I agree with you, Laura.
- Posted Mon, 11 Jul 2011 13:54
- Gordon J Milne
I wonder if I Am Legend would have made the list if it weren't for a recent big budget movie.
- Posted Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:28
- Michael Morton
Why is Nineteen Eighty-Four on there, but not We by Yevgeny Zamyatin? Without it there would be no Nineteen Eighty-Four, and - in my opinion - a much better novel.
- Posted Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:10
- Cheryl Lim
Not bad, but there should be a Le Guin (Dispossessed, Left Hand of Darkness) on that list. And perhaps Vonnegut, and Bester (The Stars My Destination).
- Posted Mon, 11 Jul 2011 09:42
- Laura Halliwell
Where's Jasper Fforde's Shades of Grey?!
- Posted Mon, 11 Jul 2011 09:37
Frankenstein should be on the list, I think. A true science fiction masterpiece with greater relevance now than when first written.
- Posted Mon, 11 Jul 2011 09:27
No Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, Douglas Adams or Iain Banks? Hmmm,
- Posted Mon, 11 Jul 2011 08:21
Write a Comment
- Book Depository Team
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Noriko Tsuchiya Author View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
View more team members >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >