The Book Depository BlogRSS
Mon, 16 Nov 2009 00:01
National Geographic Books publishes books for adults and children in support of the National Geographic Society's mission: "to inspire others to care about the planet." It is an acknowledged leader in illustrated reference books, atlases, travel books and travel collections and monographs, as well as narrative non-fiction for all ages.
The Book Depository: What/who do you see as your primary market?
National Geographic: Of course, our photography is well-known throughout the world, so anyone interested in looking at great pictures and learning the stories behind making them would be interested in our books. Travel is also one of our obvious strengths, and we appeal to both the seasoned traveler who's looking for cultural information about their destination, as well as the person who merely aspires to travel the world. Our kids' books are packed with fun facts and great pictures for any child (and adults, too!), and make for great gifts. But in general, anyone interested in viewing the world as only National Geographic can present it can pick up one of our titles in culture, travel, history, or science and hear directly from our exporers-in-residence and experts as they share their stories from the field.
The Book Depository: What are the principal challenges/opportunities you see at the moment in the business of publishing books?
National Geographic: Two challenges are presenting themselves at the moment: The struggling economy and the change from printed page to electronic media.
The Book Depository: What brings you to the decision to publish a particular title/author?
The Book Depository: We look closely at current trends in the marketplace that would mesh nicely with our brand, and work closely with our sales force to determine market appeal for our core topics (Science, History, Cultures, Natural History, Travel, Photography). We also work closely with divisions across National Geographic (the Channel, online, National Geographic Magazine, National Geographic Kids, games, etc.) to determine cutting edge topics -- from discoveries to adventure to new views of classic topics -- that will make good book projects.
We often create companion books that link to the latest science articles from NGM or NG Channel shows so that our books can have the lift of cross-promotion and a stronger than ever brand presence. Likewise, we are constantly scanning the marketplace for partnerships with museums, major corporations and other locales for unique ideas. Additionally, we sell some of our titles direct to consumer, and we survey our membership often to help determine titles that might be successful.
The Book Depository: What books are you most proud of having published?
- NG Body: The Complete Human
- NG Hubble: Imaging Space and Time
- The Other Side of War: Women's Stories of Survival and Hope
- The World is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean's are One
- NG The Concise History of the World: An Illustrated Time Line
- George vs. George
- Facing the Lion
- NG Kids Almanac 2010
- 11 Planets
- When Fish Got Feet, Sharks Got Teeth, and Bugs Began to Swarm
The Book Depository: What books are you working on right now?
- Weird But True: 301 Outrageous Facts
- National Geographic Ultimate Dinopedia
- Soul of a Lion: Harnas Wildlife Reserve
- My Father, the Captain: The Story of Jacques Cousteau
- Secret Journeys of a Lifetime
Write a Comment
- The Book Depository Team
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
View more team members >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >