Book Depository BlogRSS
- Showing 1 to 1 of 1 results
Tue, 09 Dec 2008 11:40
Book Depository: What/who do you see as your primary market?
Clare Tyrer (AVA): Students, practioners and any interested in the applied visual arts and communication discipline.
BD: What are the principal challenges/opportunities you see at the moment in the business of publishing books?
CT: To develop a different approach to educational books through innovative and vibrant design. Applied visual arts is one of the fastest growing set of disciplines in the further education sector. In addition to this, many topics, such as fashion design, photography and film-making generate considerable mainstream interest where professionally informed texts are increasingly sought.
BD: What brings you to the decision to publish a particular title/author?
CT: We work closely with academics and experts in the field in order to identify emerging subjects or those that are not currently adequately addressed.
Our primary concern is to publish visually inspiring books that encourage learning. The recent publication of David Crow's left to right reflects this trend as it explores the theme of the emergence of visual rather than textual based learning as the default for new learners and increasingly society as a whole.
BD: What books are you most proud of having published?
CT: We are proud of all our books, but our key achievement has been the clear structure we have developed for our publishing plan.
The first level is The Fundamentals a wide range of introductory titles supported by Visual Dictionaries. These are accessible books aimed at further education students and those looking for a thorough grounding in the subject.
The second level is The Basics, which offer a more in depth exploration of each of the topics covered in the Fundamental titles. Like the Fundamentals, they provide a both a theoretical and practical approach supported by examples and exercises.
The third layer is the Advanced series, which provide professional, undergraduate and practioner audiences with a detailed exploration of the topic covered.
BD: What books are you working on right now?
CT: We will be developing our publishing plan expanding our Fashion, Film-making and Advertising collection titles along side our more established series such as Graphic Design and Photography.
These are The Book Depository's 5 favourite AVA titles:
- Showing 1 to 1 of 1 results
- Book Depository Team
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Noriko Tsuchiya Author View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
View more team members >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >