Book Depository BlogRSS
- Showing 1 to 3 of 3 results
Mon, 03 Oct 2011 14:14
Those nice people at Open University Press have put together a mini Ultimate Survival Guide for University Students. Top tips on writing the perfect essay, finding part-time work, dealing with stress and much more including some puzzles to beef up your brain. You can also win £50 worth of books from our good selves if you solve one particularly fiendish puzzle (hint: it's on page 9). [Email your answer to email@example.com]
So download below for all the essentials for the coming academic year.
Wed, 25 May 2011 09:00
Towel Day is an annual celebration on the 25th of May, as a tribute to the late author Douglas Adams (1952-2001). On that day, fans around the universe proudly carry a towel in his honour. Why a towel? Because they're so useful! As the guide says...
"A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough."
As my own contribution, I'd like to offer this piece of Vogon poetry specially commissioned for the day...
- "See, see the short sky
- Marvel at its big purple depths.
- Tell me, Derek do you
- Wonder why the kitten ignores you?
- Why it's foobly stare
- makes you feel constipated.
- I can tell you, it is
- Worried by your skooby facial
- That looks like
- A cheese.
- What's more, it knows
- Your flannel potting shed
- Smells of snot.
- Everything under the big short sky
- Asks why, why do you even bother?
- You only charm poos."
Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:15
You may have heard of a very happy event coming up at the end of April. It's the wedding of our very own, dear Prince William and his radiant fiance, Ms Kate Middleton. To prepare for and celebrate this wonderful occasion, For Dummies have brought us this charming guide to Royal Weddings past, present and future written by the distinguished editor of the Independent on Sunday, Julian Knight. As an extra special treat Dummies have given us a sample of the book to download for absolutely nothing. That's right, free! You can launch this splendid pamphlet in a new window, here
What you may not realise, however, is just how close we are here in the Book Depository basement (sorry, Lower Ground Floor...) to the elegant shadow of the Castle and all things house of Windsor. Indeed, every other day, our very foundations are shaken by the stirring marching of the changing of the Irish guards. It gives us such a thrill to be able to just about see the boots of the soldiers drilling up and down the street in patriotic fashion.
Anyway, we asked the work experience boy to knock up a handy visual guide to let you all know just how lucky we are...
More Royal Wedding books can be found here...
- Showing 1 to 3 of 3 results
- Book Depository Team
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Noriko Tsuchiya Author View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
View more team members >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >