Book Depository BlogRSS
- Showing 1 to 1 of 1 results
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:33
Each Monday, here on Editor's Corner, I run through the latest issue of the Bookseller magazine and pick out the bits and pieces of book industry news that catch my eye.
This quick round-up of book stuff is mainly culled from the Bookseller website:
- Critics pounce on Library Review: "The newly-published Library Modernisation Review has attracted criticism from shadow culture minister Ed Vaizey as well as from library campaigner Tim Coates, despite being welcomed by the Chartered Institute for Library and Information Professionals (CILIP)..."
- IPG: Publishers face 'Copernican shift' from digital: "Digital was to the fore at this year's Independent Publishers Guild conference, with discussions ranging from having the right metadata to working with the games industry..."
- Earthscan makes it a hat-trick at IPA: "Earthscan scored a treble at this year's Independent Publishers Award, picking up three of the gongs including the top prize, the Independent Publisher of the Year..."
- Former Reed Elsevier chief gets £2.2m sign-off: "Former Reed Elsevier chief executive Ian Smith was paid £2.2m over the 10 months he was with the group, according to its annual report and accounts. The figure included £733,000 for losing his job, a £428,000 bonus, £233,000 paid in lieu of pension, and £42,000 for holiday not taken. Smith left the company "by mutual consent" in November..."
- Bargains a hit in high street squeeze: "Chain bookshops and book clubs were the biggest retail losers in 2009, with value and volume sales declining, according to data by Book Marketing Limited..."
- Paper book tokens to run dry this May: "National Book Tokens has confirmed it plans to stop supplying paper tokens to booksellers from 31st May this year..."
- Trade raises concerns over licensing in digital bill: "Writers and agents have raised concerns over the provisions on collective licensing contained in the Digital Economy Bill, which went through the House of Lords this week, and is now expected to be passed ahead of the election through a procedure known as 'wash up'..."
- Osprey launches "freemium" app: "Military press Osprey Publishing, which picked up the Consumer Publishing award at this weekend's IPG Awards, has made five history books available as "freemium" apps via the Apple e-commerce store..."
- Row erupts in France over book association head: "A major row has erupted over the appointment of a new president of the French Publishers Association just a few days before the troubled Paris Book Fair opens on Friday..."
- Simon Juden quits Publishers Association for Pearson: "Simon Juden has resigned from the Publishers Association, and will take up the role of head of public policy at Pearson later this year. Juden, who has been chief executive of the PA for the last three years, will stay on at the trade body until a replacement has been found..."
Posted by Mark
- Showing 1 to 1 of 1 results
- Book Depository Team
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Noriko Tsuchiya Author View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
View more team members >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >