Book Depository BlogRSS
- Showing 1 to 1 of 1 results
Wed, 04 Nov 2009 06:37
BIS Publishers is an international English publisher based in Amsterdam. BIS has built a name as a publisher of well designed creative books for creative people and their clients on subjects like design, fashion, advertising and architecture. Holland is one of the most prolific design countries in Europe and the best of Dutch and European design can be found on the BIS list. Besides books BIS also publishes a magazine on art and visual culture called Elephant of which the design and editorial office are located in London.
The Book Depository: What/who do you see as your primary market?
BIS: The primary market of BIS is creative professionals around the globe and students.
The Book Depository: What are the principal challenges/opportunities you see at the moment in the business of publishing books?
BIS: The principal challenge is one of all times: find the books that really address a need in the market and/or are so creatively and well done that they are picked up by many, many readers. So we look for those special projects that differentiate us from the run of the mill offering that you see on the market.
The Book Depository: What brings you to the decision to publish a particular title/author?
BIS: The basic question is: does it contribute something new and is it done in a creative, attractive way.
The Book Depository:What books are you most proud of having published?
BIS: I am very proud that we published Sketching for Product Designers, which proved to be just the book that teachers in drawing classes in design school wanted to use in their classes. Within two years we have sold 50,000 copies around the globe.
I am also proud on our most recent bestseller Never Use White Type on a Black Background -- and 50 other ridiculous design rules. This is a very good looking, useful and funny, and not too expensive gift book for designers. It will be followed by 4 other titles which will focus on ridiculous rules in fashion, advertising, typography and web design.
The Book Depository: What books are you working on right now?
BIS: In our successful memory games series we now work on a new game which is very well done: Typeface Memory Game (find the matching typefaces) developed by designers from Sao Paolo in Brazil. It looks great and I am sure it will be loved by many designers and will even be used in design school as an educational aid. Also look out for London Memory Game and Street Style Memory Game.
- Showing 1 to 1 of 1 results
- Book Depository Team
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Noriko Tsuchiya Author View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
View more team members >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >