The Book Depository BlogRSS
- Showing 51 to 55 of 218 results
Fri, 13 Aug 2010 03:24
We have a winner for our New Naturalist competition. We asked you to send us a photograph of you (or a friend) reading in the wild, reading next to nature, being in nature and reading! We had lots of great entries which you can see here but we had to pick one and here it is:
Well done Tom Blake from Western Australia! This is a photograph of his girlfriend reading in the Sri Lankan highlands. Looks pretty idyllic to us.
On their way to you is a beautiful box set from the New Naturalist Library of ten superb books, a gorgeous Corbet and Brooksbook volume on dragonflies in a handsome slipcase, and 4 Collins nature books (Collins Bird Guide, Collins Butterfly Guide, Collins Tree Guide and a Collins Flower Guide). Altogether, the prize is worth over a 1000 pounds!
Thanks to everybody who took the time to enter and keep an eye out for our other great competitions.
Tue, 10 Aug 2010 06:2116 books are left in contention for the 2010 Financial Times and Goldman Sachs Business Book of the Year Award.
The longlist for the award which has just been announced includes several volumes examining how the bankers stole your money, how certain social websites want to steal your identity, how hedge funders want to steal your grandmother's money, how supermarkets want to steal your sanity and a novel about a man who wants it all. Everything. Every last drop. Probably.
The winner is announced on October 27th in New York, will receive 30,000 pounds and promptly stash the cash under the mattress.
But seriously, this is a great list that illuminates the extraordinary and complex world of international finance as well as the mundane yet vitally important details of our day to day lives. Work your way through the list here
Mon, 09 Aug 2010 07:09
'August is the Mississippi of the calendar. It's beastly hot and muggy. It has a dismal history. Nothing good ever happens in it. And the United States would be better off without it.' - David Plotz, Slate magazine
August... It's not all holidays and sunshine. The Atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Anne Frank was arrested, Elvis and Marilyn died, World War 1 started, Hitler and Stalin signed the non-aggression pact and Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait. Read all about the misery while trying to cool down.
Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:18I Am Number Four is a new thriller. John Smith is not your average teenager. On the run, he moves from town to town changing his name and identity. If he stops, those hunting him will find him and kill him. He was once one of nine, three have been killed. John is Number Four. Also, soon to be a major movie in early 2011. More book details
Mon, 02 Aug 2010 10:55
To celebrate RJ Ellory winning the Theakston's Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year 2010 with A Simple Act of Violence, we have an iPod touch to give away pre-loaded with 20 great books.
The first five questions are based on Ellory's Anniversary Man and next five based on real life serial killers. Answer all the parts to be in with a chance to win!
Find more of Ellory's titles at great prices.
1. What is the name of the newspaper for which Karen Langley and John Costello work?
2. What is John's father's name, and what is the name of the diner he owns and runs?
3. What is the name of the group of serial killer survivors that John belongs to?
4. What was the real name of the 'Hammer of God' killer?
5. What is the name of the restaurant where Irving routinely ate at 854 Seventh Avenue?
6. Which 1991 Australian novel featured a serial killer based on the last man to be executed in Western Australia and what was his name?
7. What is the name and author of the 1891 french novel in which a character is based on the notorious 15th century child murderer Gilles de Rais?
8. What was the name of the clown John Wayne Gacy used to entertain his neighbours and which American singer/songwriter wrote a song about him?
9. What is the name of the castle lived in by Elizabeth Bathory, the Bloody Countess and in which modern day country is it located?
10. Which American serial killer and influence for Norman Bates and Buffalo Bill, exhumed corpses from local graveyards and fashioned trophies and keepsakes from their bones and skin and what did he keep on his bedposts?
Email your entries with your name and address to email@example.com
Closing date - Friday 17th September 2010
Posted by Adam
- Showing 51 to 55 of 218 results
- The Book Depository Team
- Anna Content Manager View posts >
- Adam Spinach View posts >
- Eric Admin View posts >
- Ben Elliss Head of IT View posts >
- Admin The Book Depository View posts >
View more team members >
- Mr McPaws Poet and kitten View posts >
- Alice Hart Davis Author View posts >
- Sibella Court Author View posts >
- Gordon Grice Gordon Grice View posts >
- Kieron MD The Book Depository View posts >
- Barry Chicken House View posts >
- Hugh Aldersey Williams Author View posts >
- Mark Forsyth Author View posts >
- Stevo Senior Designer View posts >
- Thalia Guest blogger View posts >
- Jason Senior front end Dev View posts >
- Will IT Director View posts >
- Mark Content Manager View posts >
- Publisher Blogs
- Alma Books Bloggerel
- Continuum philosophy
- Faber's Thought Fox
- Harvard University Press Publicity
- Indiana University Press
- Jam Language Publishing
- North Atlantic Books
- View more publisher blog >