Victorian Literature and CulturePaperback Introductions to British Literature and Culture
- Publisher: Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Format: Paperback | 160 pages
- Dimensions: 138mm x 214mm x 16mm | 259g
- Publication date: 16 January 2007
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 0826488846
- ISBN 13: 9780826488848
- Sales rank: 24,161
"Introductions to British Literature and Culture" are practical guides to key literary periods. Guides in the series are designed to help introduce a new module or area of study, providing concise information on the historical, literary and critical contexts and acting as an initial map of the knowledge needed to study the literature and culture of a specific period. This accessible introduction to Victorian literature and its contexts from 1837-1901 includes: an overview of the historical, cultural and intellectual background including politics and economics, popular culture, philosophy and religion; a survey of the developments in key genres including discussion of major writers such as the Brontes, the Brownings, Collins, Dickens, Eliot, Gaskell, Hardy, Rossetti, Shaw, Swinburne, Tennyson and Wilde; concise explanations of key terms needed to understand the literature and criticism; a guide to key critical approaches; a chronology mapping historical events and literary works; and guided further reading including websites and electronic resources.
Other people who viewed this bought:
$32.62 - Save $7.95 19% off - RRP $40.57
$29.62 - Save $68.29 69% off - RRP $97.91
$97.76 - Save $4.07 (3%) - RRP $101.83
Other books in this category
$12.28 - Save $4.94 28% off - RRP $17.22
$13.94 - Save $2.05 12% off - RRP $15.99
$7.24 - Save $3.71 33% off - RRP $10.95
$9.85 - Save $4.23 30% off - RRP $14.08
$9.60 - Save $1.35 12% off - RRP $10.95
Maureen Moran is Professor of English Literature at Brunel University, London, UK.
"'[this] series offers both the student reader and teacher exciting and invaluable interventions in and reorientations around questions of history, culture, and period... With brio, verve, and an admirable brevity, the series grounds our understanding of literature and culture in thought-provoking and highly original ways.... an indispensable series that will set the benchmark for all such surveys and overviews.' Julian Wolfreys, Professor of Victorian Literary and Cultural Studies at the University of Florida."
Table of contents
1. Introduction; 2. Historical, Cultural and Intellectual Context; 2.1 Arts and Culture; 2.2 Philosophy and Religion; 2.3. Politics and Economics; 2.4. Developments in Science and Technology; 3. Literature in the Victorian Period; 3.1 Poetry; 3.2 Fiction; 3.3 Drama; 3.4 Non-Fictional Prose; 3.5 Literary Movements; 4. Critical Approaches; 4.1 Historical Overview; 4.2 Current Issues and Debates; 5. Resources for Independent Study; 5.1 Chronology of Key Historical and Cultural Events; 5.2 Glossary of Key Literary Terms and Concepts; 5.3 Further Reading and Resources; Index.