Travels in Mesopotamia: With Researches on the Ruins of Nineveh, Babylon, and Other Ancient CitiesPaperback Cambridge Library Collection - Travel and Exploration
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 3 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS
- Format: Paperback | 588 pages
- Dimensions: 140mm x 213mm x 38mm | 726g
- Publication date: 29 December 2011
- Publication City/Country: Cambridge
- ISBN 10: 1108042155
- ISBN 13: 9781108042154
- Edition: 1
- Illustrations note: 15 b/w illus. 1 map
Cornish-born writer, traveller and controversialist James Silk Buckingham (1786-1855) spent much of his early life as a sailor in the Atlantic and the Mediterranean and went on to publish accounts of his extensive travels to India, Palestine and Persia. His criticisms of the East India Company and the Bengal government led to his expulsion from India in 1823. In the 1830s he became a Member of Parliament and campaigned for social reforms and for the promotion of the temperance movement. He founded several journals, including the periodical The Athenaeum, covering a wide range of topics from literature to popular science. This illustrated two-volume work, published in 1827, recounts Buckingham's journey through Mesopotamia, giving descriptions of its ancient sites and opinions of its modern inhabitants. In Volume 2, Buckingham continues his travels through Mesopotamia, from Sinjar in the north-west of the region to the city of Baghdad.
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$47.99 - Save $0.12 - RRP $48.11
Other books in this category
USD$12.15 - Save $4.37 26% off - RRP $16.52
USD$11.19 - Save $5.33 32% off - RRP $16.52
USD$13.50 - Save $1.52 10% off - RRP $15.02
USD$17.11 - Save $11.44 40% off - RRP $28.55
USD$7.55 - Save $4.46 37% off - RRP $12.01
Table of contents
1. From the Plain of Sinjar, by Romoila, to Mousul; 2. Description of Mousul; 3. Visit to the ruins of Nineveh, and journey from Mousul to the River Lycus; 4. From Ain Koura, by the ancient Arbela, to Kerkook; 5. From Kerkook, by Kiffree, to Kara Tuppe, or the Black Hill; 6. From Kara Tuppe, by Delhi Abass, to Bagdad; 7. Description of Bagdad; 8. Excursion to Akkerkoof; 9. Journey from Bagdad to the ruins of Babylon; 10. Search after the walls of Babylon; 11. Visit to the Tower of Babel and Temple of Belus, or the Birs Nimrood; 12. Observations made at Bagdad; 13. Excursion to the ruins of Ctesiphon and Seleucia; 14. Further stay in Bagdad; Appendix; Index.