This Sentence is False: An Introduction to Philosophical ParadoxesPaperback
- Publisher: Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Format: Paperback | 192 pages
- Dimensions: 126mm x 194mm x 20mm | 259g
- Publication date: 12 September 2009
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 1847062202
- ISBN 13: 9781847062208
- Sales rank: 196,741
This book offers a lively and accessible introduction to philosophical paradoxes - ideal for anyone coming to this fascinating subject for the first time. Put your neurons through their paces with this lively and engaging introduction to paradoxes. From "Buridan's Ass" and the "Surprise Examination" to "The Liar" and "Sleeping Beauty", "This Sentence is False" introduces all the key philosophical paradoxes. This fascinating guide to logic and reasoning is packed with puzzles and thought experiments to actively engage the reader in critical thinking. As well as paradoxes that occur in our everyday lives, topics also include God, ethics, political philosophy, space and time. Ideal for anyone coming to philosophy for the first time, "This Sentence is False" will put your mind to the test, challenge what you think you know and lead you on a fascinating journey through logical reasoning.
Other people who viewed this bought:
$8.93 - Save $3.59 28% off - RRP $12.52
$14.88 - Save $0.77 (4%) - RRP $15.65
$11.47 - Save $1.05 (8%) - RRP $12.52
$11.14 - Save $1.38 11% off - RRP $12.52
$11.26 - Save $1.26 10% off - RRP $12.52
$10.10 - Save $3.98 28% off - RRP $14.08
Other books in this category
$8.01 - Save $4.51 36% off - RRP $12.52
$12.85 - Save $9.65 42% off - RRP $22.50
$12.09 - Save $1.99 14% off - RRP $14.08
$10.57 - Save $3.51 24% off - RRP $14.08
$20.98 - Save $8.77 29% off - RRP $29.75
$8.01 - Save $9.74 54% off - RRP $17.75
Peter Cave teaches philosophy The Open University and City University London, UK. He writes regularly for Philosophy Now and The Philosophers' Magazine and has made regular TV and radio appearances. In 2005 he presented a series of programmes on paradoxes on BBC Radio 4. His previous publications include Can a Robot Be Human? (One World, 2007).
Absorbing and provocative - hard to put down, and light as a feather to pick up again.--Sanford Lakoff
Table of contents
1. The Good, the Bad and the Surprising; 2. Endlessness in Reasoning: 'Lather, Rinse, Repeat'; 3. Rationality: Trust Me!; 4. Endless Divisions: Catch Me if You Can; 5. Drawing Lines: Heaps, Frogs and Tachometers; 6. 'This Page is Left Blank': Liars, Luck and Emptiness; 7. God, Gods, Goods and Fictions; 8. Impossible Deeds: Beyond Belief and the Self; Appendix: Key Paradoxes; Index.