- Publisher: Centre for the Study of Language & Information
- Format: Paperback | 286 pages
- Language: English / Multiple languages
- Dimensions: 155mm x 229mm x 20mm | 498g
- Publication date: 30 January 1995
- Publication City/Country: Stanford
- ISBN 10: 1881526496
- ISBN 13: 9781881526490
- Edition statement: New.
This volume presents a collection of papers on word order variation in the languages of South Asia. These languages are interesting precisely because they exhibit such great flexibility in their word orders while not being completely non-configurational; and data from these languages have been the source of much recent research and controversy in this domain. The papers in this volume bring together both theoretical and empirical perspectives on word order variability within a wide variety of South Asian languages. They contribute particularly to a fuller description and understanding of the phenomena. They examine the extent to which linear precedence relations (word order) are determined/constrained by lexical, discourse, or purely syntactic levels of organization; and to what extent they represent an independent system of organisation with its own language-particular constraints and relations.
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$51.07 - Save $4.87 (8%) - RRP $55.94
USD$98.95 - Save $56.48 36% off - RRP $155.43
USD$182.58 - Save $112.74 38% off - RRP $295.32
USD$28.68 - Save $0.84 (2%) - RRP $29.52
Other books in this category
USD$12.03 - Save $5.07 29% off - RRP $17.10
USD$25.93 - Save $29.56 53% off - RRP $55.49
USD$28.69 - Save $2.40 (7%) - RRP $31.09
Table of contents
1. Introduction Tracy Holloway King and Gillian Ramchand; 2. Bangla correlatives Tista Bagchi; 3. Structure of the Kashmiri clause Rakesh Mohan Bhatt; 4. Complex predicate scrambling in Urdu Miriam Butt; 5. Topicalization in Hindi and the correlative construction Veena Dwivedi; 6. Postverbal position in Tamil Susan C. Herring; 7. Issues in word order K. P. Mohanan and T. Mohanan; 8. Case OCP: a constraint on word order in Hindi Tara Mohanan; 9. Thematic roles, word order and definiteness Mona Singh; 10. Binding facts in Hindi and the scrambling phenomenon Veneeta Srivastav Dayal; 11. Compound typology in Tamil K. G. Vijayakrishnan.