- Publisher: The Islamic Texts Society
- Format: Paperback | 116 pages
- Language: English / Arabic
- Dimensions: 155mm x 231mm x 10mm | 181g
- Publication date: 1 April 2005
- Publication City/Country: Cambridge
- ISBN 10: 1903682177
- ISBN 13: 9781903682173
- Edition: Bilingual edition
- Edition statement: Bilingual
- Illustrations note: black & white illustrations
- Sales rank: 236,418
'Sufi Poems' is a selection of poems from the golden period of Sufism especially chosen and translated from the Arabic by the distinguished scholar Dr Martin Lings. Dr Lings is the author of numerous best-selling works on Sufism and is a published poet in his own right. Including poems here translated for the first time, 'Sufi Poems' brings together selections from the giants of Sufism; for example, Rabia, Hallaj, Ibn al-Farid and Ibn 'Arabi. 'Sufi Poems' is published as a bilingual Arabic-English edition which will be of interest to all those wishing to read the original Arabic and will also be helpful for university students of Arabic.
Add item to wishlist
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$14.70 - Save $7.92 35% off - RRP $22.62
USD$12.56 - Save $2.96 19% off - RRP $15.52
USD$20.66 - Save $5.85 22% off - RRP $26.51
USD$14.31 - Save $13.76 49% off - RRP $28.07
Other books in this category
USD$10.95 - Save $4.64 29% off - RRP $15.59
USD$7.27 - Save $0.52 (6%) - RRP $7.79
USD$8.25 - Save $4.22 33% off - RRP $12.47
USD$13.70 - Save $3.45 20% off - RRP $17.15
USD$13.31 - Save $3.84 22% off - RRP $17.15
USD$12.01 - Save $3.58 22% off - RRP $15.59
Martin Lings, formerly Keeper of Oriental Manuscript in the British Museum and the British Library, is the author of three works on Islamic mysticism, 'A Sufi Saint of the Twentieth Century', 'What is Sufism?' and 'The Book of Certainty', all published by the Islamic Texts Society. His 'Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources', also published by the Islamic Texts Society, has been internationally acclaimed as a masterpiece.
"Extremely well-chosen and exquisitely translated, this anthology of Arabic Sufi Poetry is the best available in the English language, revealing precious treasures of Sufism rendered by the translator in a masterly fashion into beautiful English poems which resonate with spiritual qualities of the original Arabic verses." Seyyed Hossein Nasr, George Washington University"
Table of contents
1. Preface; 2. Rabiah al-Adawiyyah; 3. Dhu'n-Nun Thawban al-Misri; 4. Sahl ibn Abd Allah al-Tustari; 5. Abu Husayn Ahmad ibn Muhammad an-Nuri; 6. Abu'l-Hasan Summun ibn Hamzah al-Basri; 7. Al-Husayn ibn Mansur al-Hallaj; 8. Abu Bakr Dulaf ibn Jahdar ash-Shibli; 9. Abu'l-Abbas al-Qasim al-Sayyari; 10. Muhyi'l-Din Muhammad ibn Ali ibn Arabi; 11. Sharafu'd-Din Umar ibn al-Farid; 12. Abu'l-Hasan Ali ibn Abd Allah ash-Shushtari; 13. Conclusion; 14. Bibliography.