A Student's Introduction to English GrammarPaperback
List price $35.93
You save $2.75 (7%)
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 1 business day
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS
- Format: Paperback | 322 pages
- Dimensions: 156mm x 250mm x 42mm | 700g
- Publication date: 14 March 2005
- Publication City/Country: Cambridge
- ISBN 10: 0521612888
- ISBN 13: 9780521612883
- Sales rank: 34,914
This groundbreaking undergraduate textbook on modern Standard English grammar is the first to be based on the revolutionary advances of the authors' previous work, The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (2002). The analyses defended there are outlined here more briefly, in an engagingly accessible and informal style. Errors of the older tradition of English grammar are noted and corrected, and the excesses of prescriptive usage manuals are firmly rebutted in specially highlighted notes that explain what older authorities have called 'incorrect' and show why those authorities are mistaken. This book is intended for students in colleges or universities who have little or no previous background in grammar, and presupposes no linguistics. It contains exercises, and will provide a basis for introductions to grammar and courses on the structure of English not only in linguistics departments but also in English language and literature departments and schools of education.
Add item to wishlist
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$25.52 - Save $13.55 34% off - RRP $39.07
USD$32.41 - Save $5.08 13% off - RRP $37.49
USD$12.72 - Save $1.33 (9%) - RRP $14.05
USD$44.66 - Save $6.28 12% off - RRP $50.94
Other books in this category
USD$13.19 - Save $4.00 23% off - RRP $17.19
USD$25.99 - Save $29.80 53% off - RRP $55.79
USD$33.75 - Save $0.61 (1%) - RRP $34.36
USD$38.18 - Save $0.87 (2%) - RRP $39.05
USD$28.85 - Save $2.40 (7%) - RRP $31.25
Rodney Huddleston is a principal author of The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (ISBN 0521431468) which won the 2004 Leonard Bloomfield Book Award of the Linguistic Society of America. Geoffrey K. Pullum is a principal author of The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language (ISBN 0521431468) which won the 2004 Leonard Bloomfield Book Award of the Linguistic Society of America.
'... this grammar is a thought provoking book and a challenging read for grammarians working along more traditional or mainstream lines.' Moderna Sprak '... this book stands out as a remarkable achievement in both the descriptive and generative textbook tradition ...' Acta Linguistica Hungarica
Table of contents
1. Introduction; 2. A rapid overview; 3. Verbs, tense, aspect, and mood; 4. Clause structure, complements, and adjuncts; 5. Nouns and noun phrases; 6. Adjectives and adverbs; 7. Prepositions and preposition phrases; 8. Negation and related phenomena; 9. Clause type: asking, exclaiming, and directing; 10. Subordination and content clauses; 11. Relative clauses; 12. Grade and comparison; 13. Non-finite clauses and clauses without verbs; 14. Coordination and more; 15. Information packaging in the clause; 16. Morphology: words and lexemes; Further reading; Glossary; Index.