Solving Genealogy Problems: How to Break Down 'brick Walls' and Build Your Family TreePaperback
List price $19.81
You save $10.07 50% off
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 1 business day
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: How to Books Ltd
- Format: Paperback | 224 pages
- Dimensions: 152mm x 230mm x 20mm | 422g
- Publication date: 13 December 2011
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 1845284771
- ISBN 13: 9781845284770
- Illustrations note: Illustrations, 1 map
- Sales rank: 49,556
'Brick walls' occur everywhere and all the time in genealogy research. Solving Genealogy Problems will help you make real progress through difficult areas and dead ends. With this book you can take your British Isles family tree back further. Solving Genealogy Problems will: - Help you find new records, including unusual ones genealogists often don't know about; and make the best use of them when you do find them. - Suggest new ideas for looking at old problems. - Give additional ideas on using the census - then more ideas on using census substitutes when the census doesn't have the answers. - Suggest ways of finding elusive births, marriages and deaths - and then of making progress anyway, even when you absolutely cannot find them. This book covers all periods of British Isles genealogy. The new frontiers of genealogy are considered for the hope they give on even the most intractable research block, and the possibility they allow of building even the most difficult of family trees.
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$17.95 - Save $1.86 (9%) - RRP $19.81
USD$22.46 - Save $0.40 (1%) - RRP $22.86
USD$18.71 - Save $1.10 (5%) - RRP $19.81
USD$19.40 - Save $0.41 (2%) - RRP $19.81
USD$10.26 - Save $4.97 32% off - RRP $15.23
Other books in this category
USD$16.56 - Save $3.25 16% off - RRP $19.81
USD$10.73 - Save $4.50 29% off - RRP $15.23
USD$11.70 - Save $3.53 23% off - RRP $15.23
USD$23.57 - Save $29.80 55% off - RRP $53.37
USD$22.35 - Save $8.15 26% off - RRP $30.50
USD$18.47 - Save $4.39 19% off - RRP $22.86
A university lecturer and academic researcher, Dr Graeme Davis is also a genealogist with extensive experience of family tree research. In addition to numerous academic publications in history and philology, his genealogical books include Your Family Tree Online and Research Your Surname and Your Family Tree.
'Clear explanations, signposting, and sound advice underpin ideas to solve your conundrum.' Who Do You Think Your Are?. 'Particularly helpful for newbies, this book nevertheless brims with advice to encourage even the more experience genealogists to think out of the box to tackle old problems.' Family Tree. 'A Useful guide for those occasions when research has come to a standstill and another angle is needed to progress any further.' Genealogists' Magazine. 'Packed full of helpful advice... this guide will have you building your family tree in no time.' Family History Monthly
Table of contents
1. RECOGNISING BRICK WALLS; 2. UNDERSTANDING BIRTHS, MARRIAGES AND DEATHS; 3. FINDING BMD BIRTHS; 4. FINDING BMD MARRIAGES; 5. FINDING BMD DEATHS; 6. CENSUS SOLUTIONS; 7. UNDERSTANDING PARISH REGISTERS; 8. FINDING PARISH REGISTER CHRISTENINGS; 9. FINDING PARISH REGISTERS MARRIAGES; 10. FINDING PARISH REGISTER BURIALS AND MEMORIAL INSCRIPTIONS; 11. USING NEWSPAPERS AS AN ALTERNATIVE SOURCE; 12. GETTING MORE FROM WILLS AND ADMINISTRATIONS; 13. DIRECTORIES AS A CENSUS SUBSTITUTE; 14. ELECTORAL ROLL AS AN ALTERNATIVE SOURCE; 15. OTHER ALTERNATIVE SOURCES; 16. YET MORE SOURCES: THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACTS AND THE GENEALOGIST; 17. PUBLISHING YOUR FAMILY TREE; 18. ORAL HISTORY; 19. LOCAL HISTORY; 20. DESCRIPTIONS OF AN ANCESTOR'S HOME; 21. CLUSTER GENEALOGY AND COMMUNITIES; 22. MILITARY RECORDS; 23. OCCUPATIONAL RECORDS; 24. IRELAND: PROBLEMS AND INSPIRATION; 25. INTERNATIONAL GENEALOGY; 26. PHOTOGRAPHS; 27. EARLY GENEALOGY; 28. GENETICS AND GENEALOGY; 29. HERITAGE; 30. COST-BENEFIT ANALYSIS FOR RESEARCH; 31. THE GENEALOGY INDUSTRY; APPENDIX: THE TOP 10 BRICK WALL TIPS; INDEX.