Sigmund Ringeck's Knightly Art of the LongswordPaperback
List price $62.30
You save $29.59 47% off
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 2 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: Paladin Press,U.S.
- Format: Paperback | 248 pages
- Dimensions: 214mm x 276mm x 16mm | 680g
- Publication date: 20 December 2008
- Publication City/Country: Colorado
- ISBN 10: 1581606885
- ISBN 13: 9781581606881
- Illustrations note: photos and illustrations
- Sales rank: 279,125
* Hundreds of instructive drawings * Modern translation of classic medieval text In the history of the martial arts of Western Europe, there are a few individuals whose contributions have been instrumental in shaping the generations that followed them. Sigmund Ringeck is such a person thanks to his efforts as an interpreter of the teachings of the grand master Johannes Liechtenauer, whose works would constitute the German longsword school up to the 17th century. In the first half of the 15th century, fencing master Sigmund Ringeck compiled a book with comments based on the fencing lessons from Liechtenauer's verses first written down in ca.1389. Ringeck's original handwritten manuscript, which contains no illustrations, is of great importance due to its detailed instruction on longsword, wrestling, sword and buckler, armored combat and mounted combat. Ringeck's greatness is that he starts with the basics and then teaches the student the secrets of the longsword step-by-step. He offers clear and precise instructions in the actual handling of the sword and how to use it to win a fight. And herein lies Ringeck's claim to posterity: he gives instruction in the true understanding of the longsword as a weapon. Today, the longsword instruction found in Ringeck's manual has been given new life by two modern students of the arts. Author David Lindholm has translated Ringeck's text and added extensive interpretations and comments. Illustrator and sword aficionado Peter Svard has created hundreds of instructive drawings capturing every nuance of the medieval swordsman's art. Also included in this impressive volume is advice for modern practitioners, such as physical training, evaluation of historical resources and the importance of test cutting. Finally, master swordsmith Peter Johnsson shows how to sharpen a sword and describes how the shape of the blade dictates its function.
Add item to wishlist
Other books in this category
USD$13.41 - Save $5.27 28% off - RRP $18.68
USD$7.83 - Save $9.29 54% off - RRP $17.12
USD$19.17 - Save $15.08 44% off - RRP $34.25
USD$33.30 - Save $5.64 14% off - RRP $38.94
USD$24.69 - Save $1.79 (6%) - RRP $26.48
USD$13.26 - Save $11.65 46% off - RRP $24.91