Pimp: The Story of My LifePaperback
List price $14.13
You save $5.33 37% off
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 2 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: Canongate Books Ltd
- Format: Paperback | 320 pages
- Dimensions: 127mm x 196mm x 23mm | 318g
- Publication date: 5 February 2009
- Publication City/Country: Edinburgh
- ISBN 10: 1847673325
- ISBN 13: 9781847673329
- Edition statement: Main ed
- Illustrations note: port.
- Sales rank: 18,073
The ultimate anti-hero, Iceberg Slim, takes you into the secret inner world of the pimp, and the smells, the sounds, the fears and petty triumphs of his world. A legendary figure of the Chicago underworld, this is his story: from defending his mother against the evil men she brought into their lives, to becoming a giant of the streets. A seething tale of brutality, cunning and greed, "Pimp" is a harrowing portrait of life on the wrong side of the tracks, and a rich warning from a true survivor.
Other people who viewed this bought:
$11.03 - Save $3.10 21% off - RRP $14.13
$12.74 - Save $2.25 15% off - RRP $14.99
$9.79 - Save $0.20 (2%) - RRP $9.99
$15.08 - Save $0.62 (3%) - RRP $15.70
$13.28 - Save $1.71 11% off - RRP $14.99
Other books in this category
$10.65 - Save $5.05 32% off - RRP $15.70
$10.72 - Save $3.41 24% off - RRP $14.13
$11.27 - Save $2.86 20% off - RRP $14.13
$10.13 - Save $4.00 28% off - RRP $14.13
$6.60 - Save $1.40 17% off - RRP $8.00
$11.42 - Save $1.13 (9%) - RRP $12.55
Roberk Beck, who used the moniker Iceberg Slim, was a major league pimp who enjoyed serious sucess during the 40s and 50s. He decided to leave the pimping game having served his third and final stretch in jail. He moved to Los Angeles where he straightened out and began a career as a writer. Pimp was originally published in 1967.
* Slim belongs to the knuckle-duster-in-the-face school of storytelling. Sunday Times * Slim always told it as it was, without compromise. -- Irvine Welsh * Pimp is hot and frantic, a remarkable tour de force of carnality and violence. The Times * Iceberg Slim does for the pimp what Jean Genet did for the thief. Washington Post * Pimp is an eye-boggling netherworld documentary, a tear-arse tale of ferocious emotion, expressed through action. Q magazine * Iceberg Slim always kept it real. It is blatant, uncompromising, and as close to the truth as you can get without going there yourself. -- Ice T * This brutally honest memoir...is as shocking today as ever. A precursor of 40 years of black-street culture, this is uncompromising and harrowing, but a landmark book nonetheless. Big Issue