Pederasty and Pedagogy in Archaic GreecePaperback
List price $21.79
Unavailable - AbeBooks may have this title.
- Publisher: University of Illinois Press
- Format: Paperback | 272 pages
- Dimensions: 152mm x 224mm x 22mm | 422g
- Publication date: 1 June 1998
- Publication City/Country: Baltimore
- ISBN 10: 0252067401
- ISBN 13: 9780252067402
Combining impeccable scholarship with accessible prose, this volume argues that institutionalized pederasty began after 650 B.C., far later than previously thought, and was used as a means of stemming overpopulation in the upper class.Pederasty established bonds that William Armstrong Percy III argues were responsible for the rise of Hellas and the "Greek miracle": in two centuries the population of Attica, 45,000 adult males in six generations, produced an astounding number of great men who laid the foundations of Western thought and civilization.