The Parthenon: From Antiquity to the PresentPaperback
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 11 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS
- Format: Paperback | 446 pages
- Dimensions: 170mm x 244mm x 23mm | 1,043g
- Publication date: 31 August 2010
- Publication City/Country: Cambridge
- ISBN 10: 0521164826
- ISBN 13: 9780521164825
- Edition statement: Reprint
- Illustrations note: 142 b/w illus. 14 colour illus.
- Sales rank: 1,047,117
This volume provides an overview of the Parthenon from antiquity to the modern era. Recent discoveries, such as the marble sculpture fragments found during the current restoration work on the Acropolis, or a vase excavated in Northern Greece whose decoration echoes a lost pedimental composition, have forced scholars to reconsider many aspects of one of the most important monuments of classical antiquity. Bringing together essays on various aspects of this world-renowned temple, this book examines the dramatic setting of the temple and its impact on modern architects such as Le Corbusier; new reconstructions and interpretations of Pheidias' vast sculptural program; in-depth analysis of architectural refinements; the techniques employed in making the colossal gold-and-ivory cult statue; and a consideration of the Christian and Muslim phases of the Parthenon's history. Collectively, they enhance our understanding of one of the icons of Western art.
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$21.78 - Save $7.74 26% off - RRP $29.52
USD$23.24 - Save $7.77 25% off - RRP $31.01
USD$197.07 - Save $112.24 36% off - RRP $309.31
USD$11.24 - Save $3.76 25% off - RRP $15.00
USD$42.39 - Save $12.01 22% off - RRP $54.40
Other books in this category
USD$35.47 - Save $11.08 23% off - RRP $46.55
USD$9.98 - Save $0.88 (8%) - RRP $10.86
USD$11.08 - Save $4.45 28% off - RRP $15.53
USD$26.64 - Save $12.14 31% off - RRP $38.78
USD$15.00 - Save $4.43 22% off - RRP $19.43
USD$13.15 - Save $2.85 17% off - RRP $16.00
Jenifer Neils is Ruther Coulter Heede Professor of Art History and Classics at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland.
'In short, this volume is a compendium of what might be deemed the current scholarly opinio communis. For seasoned scholars not fully au courant with the latest developments in Parthenon studies, these essays will provide a useful point of departure and much bibliography.' Bryn Mawr Classical Review '... this is a tome for specialists - and, as such, rather a good one.' The Times Literary Supplement
Table of contents
1. Space and theme: the setting of the Parthenon Jeffery Hurwit; 2. Wealth, power and prestige: classical Athens at home and abroad Lisa Kallet; 3. The architecture and architects of the classical Parthenon Barbara A. Barletta; 4. Bending the truth: curvature and other refinements Lothar Haselberger; 5. A celebration of Victory: the Metopes Katherine Schwab; 6. 'Noblest images on all sides': the ionic frieze Jenifer Neils; 7. Fire from heaven: the pediments and Akroteria Olga Palagia; 8. The statue of Athena and other treasures Kenneth Lapatin; 9. 'Bestride the very peak of heaven': the Parthenon after antiquity Robert Ousterhout; 10. 'Well recorded worth': photographs of the Parthenon Andrew Szegedy-Maszak; 11. The Parthenon in the modern era Richard A. Etlin.