Open Mind Open HeartPaperback
List price $18.84
You save $4.42 23% off
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 3 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Format: Paperback | 192 pages
- Dimensions: 127mm x 193mm x 15mm | 204g
- Publication date: 30 December 2006
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 0826418899
- ISBN 13: 9780826418890
- Edition: 20, Special edition
- Edition statement: 20th Anniversary edition
- Sales rank: 23,695
This is the 20th anniversary edition of Continuum's best-selling spiritual classic, which has sold over half a million in the English language and has appeared in 10 foreign-language editions (Croatian, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesia, Italian, Korean, Polish, and Portuguese). The new edition consists of a substantial new preface, an expanded glossary, some changes in terminology, and a reordering of several chapters.
Other people who viewed this bought:
$8.99 - Save $5.14 36% off - RRP $14.13
$12.49 - Save $7.92 38% off - RRP $20.41
$10.45 - Save $8.39 44% off - RRP $18.84
$13.78 - Save $1.92 12% off - RRP $15.70
$16.36 - Save $2.48 13% off - RRP $18.84
$6.96 - Save $3.25 31% off - RRP $10.21
Other books in this category
$6.83 - Save $2.58 27% off - RRP $9.41
$8.26 - Save $2.72 24% off - RRP $10.98
$22.19 - Save $6.08 21% off - RRP $28.27
$23.36 - Save $1.64 (6%) - RRP $25.00
$6.94 - Save $5.61 44% off - RRP $12.55
$11.44 - Save $4.26 27% off - RRP $15.70
Father Thomas Keating is known throughout the world as an exponent, teacher, and writer on contemplative prayer. A Cistercian (Trappist) monk of St. Benedict's Monastery, Snowmass, Colorado, he is a founder of the Centering Prayer Movement and of Contemplative Outreach. He is the author of numerous books, particularly of the trilogy Open Mind, Open Heart; Invitation to Love; and The Mystery of Christ.
"'The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage.' Ewert H. Cousins, general editor, World Spirituality: An Encyclopedic History of the Religious Quest 'My mother is a self-proclaimed 'soul shopper' from way back. We started going to St Benedict's Monastery in Snowmass when I was 7 years old. Several years later, Keating became a St. Benedict's monk. He developed centering prayer, which is a lot like meditation and what this book is about. He says that meditation (or centering prayer) is a way of reducing the obstacles to the development of grace. I can sit for only five to ten minutes. It's very hard for me. Still, when I get in trouble, it shifts my perspective. As they say, we don't pray to change our circumstances; we pray to change ourselves.' Felicity Huffman's Bookshelf in Oprah's Books"
Table of contents
1. The History of Contemplative Prayer in the Christian Tradition; 2. First Steps in Centering Prayer; 3. The Sacred Word as Symbol; 4. The Wanderings of the Imagination; 5. The Birth of Spiritual Attentiveness; 6. More Subtle Kinds of Thought; 7. Unloading the Unconsciois; 8. Summary of the Centering Prayer Method; 9. The Intensive Centering Prayer Experience; 10. What Contemplation Is Not; 11. Dimensions of Contemplative Prayer; 12. Methods of Extending the Effects of Centering Prayer into Daily Life; 13. Guidelines for Christian Life, Growth and Transformation Appendices.