Open Mind Open HeartPaperback
List price $18.03
You save $2.38 13% off
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 2 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Format: Paperback | 192 pages
- Dimensions: 127mm x 193mm x 15mm | 204g
- Publication date: 30 December 2006
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 0826418899
- ISBN 13: 9780826418890
- Edition: 20, Special edition
- Edition statement: 20th Anniversary edition
- Sales rank: 18,695
This is the 20th anniversary edition of Continuum's best-selling spiritual classic, which has sold over half a million in the English language and has appeared in 10 foreign-language editions (Croatian, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesia, Italian, Korean, Polish, and Portuguese). The new edition consists of a substantial new preface, an expanded glossary, some changes in terminology, and a reordering of several chapters.
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$13.34 - Save $3.18 19% off - RRP $16.52
USD$8.63 - Save $4.89 36% off - RRP $13.52
USD$12.60 - Save $6.93 35% off - RRP $19.53
USD$14.25 - Save $0.77 (5%) - RRP $15.02
USD$16.78 - Save $1.25 (6%) - RRP $18.03
USD$7.73 - Save $1.28 14% off - RRP $9.01
Other books in this category
USD$7.91 - Save $2.60 24% off - RRP $10.51
USD$20.51 - Save $6.54 24% off - RRP $27.05
USD$11.23 - Save $3.79 25% off - RRP $15.02
USD$20.48 - Save $5.06 19% off - RRP $25.54
USD$32.16 - Save $12.93 28% off - RRP $45.09
USD$6.95 - Save $5.06 42% off - RRP $12.01
Father Thomas Keating is known throughout the world as an exponent, teacher, and writer on contemplative prayer. A Cistercian (Trappist) monk of St. Benedict's Monastery, Snowmass, Colorado, he is a founder of the Centering Prayer Movement and of Contemplative Outreach. He is the author of numerous books, particularly of the trilogy Open Mind, Open Heart; Invitation to Love; and The Mystery of Christ.
"'The leader within the Catholic world in the task of recovering our Christian contemplative heritage.' Ewert H. Cousins, general editor, World Spirituality: An Encyclopedic History of the Religious Quest 'My mother is a self-proclaimed 'soul shopper' from way back. We started going to St Benedict's Monastery in Snowmass when I was 7 years old. Several years later, Keating became a St. Benedict's monk. He developed centering prayer, which is a lot like meditation and what this book is about. He says that meditation (or centering prayer) is a way of reducing the obstacles to the development of grace. I can sit for only five to ten minutes. It's very hard for me. Still, when I get in trouble, it shifts my perspective. As they say, we don't pray to change our circumstances; we pray to change ourselves.' Felicity Huffman's Bookshelf in Oprah's Books"
Table of contents
1. The History of Contemplative Prayer in the Christian Tradition; 2. First Steps in Centering Prayer; 3. The Sacred Word as Symbol; 4. The Wanderings of the Imagination; 5. The Birth of Spiritual Attentiveness; 6. More Subtle Kinds of Thought; 7. Unloading the Unconsciois; 8. Summary of the Centering Prayer Method; 9. The Intensive Centering Prayer Experience; 10. What Contemplation Is Not; 11. Dimensions of Contemplative Prayer; 12. Methods of Extending the Effects of Centering Prayer into Daily Life; 13. Guidelines for Christian Life, Growth and Transformation Appendices.