The Night Circus (Hardback)
$27.05 - Save $1.90 6% off - RRP $28.95 Free shipping worldwide (to United States and
all these other countries) Usually dispatched within 48 hours
Short Description for The Night Circus The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called "Le Cirque des Reves," and it is only open at night. But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway--a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco...
- Published: 13 September 2011
- Format: Hardback 387 pages
- ISBN 13: 9780385534635 ISBN 10: 0385534639
- Sales rank: 43,445
$17.92 - Save $0.07 - RRP $17.99
$13.05 - Save $4.94 27% off - RRP $17.99
$36.96 - Save $19.79 34% off - RRP $56.75
$17.03 - Save $0.96 5% off - RRP $17.99
$9.86 - Save $1.13 10% off - RRP $10.99
Reviews for The Night Circus
Imaginative and fanciful
This one has been a breakout hit. Here's why:
1. Beautiful presentation - the dustcover is colorful, with lovely graphic elements - the actual binding is bookshelf-worthy as well, with shiny silver text on black - the inside pages have lovely starry insets between pages as well as graphic pages with "quotes" from various people on Le Cirque des Reves - just a gorgeous-LOOKING book
2. Imaginative and fanciful - I was most impressed by the originality of the story - it's difficult to find a story that feels wholly original, but this one fits the bill.
3. Writing - the writing is totally spot-on - you can feel the magic coming out of the pages with very descriptive and evocative prose
The characters - there's the requisite bad guy in the form of Celia's father, who gets his own comeuppance when a trick he tries goes too far. Although I enjoyed the STORY, I really never felt a connection with many of the characters - there's a romance that seems to fall flat on the pages, and the motivations of many characters are unclear. I felt like an impartial observer of these lives and I actually felt more for some of the secondary characters than any of the main ones.
Even so, the "feel" of this novel makes it worth reading - it actually may even make a good re-read, as some of the nuances missed on the first read may become clearer on the second. The descriptive settings, the imaginative circus that only opens at night (and no one knows ahead of time where it will be), with its magical displays and unparalleled performers, as well as the concept behind its formation - only a wonderfully creative mind could have come up with this. Some may not care for the somewhat circular fashion that the story is told in, but I felt that it was perfect for this type of fantasy read.
Writing: 5 out of 5 stars
Plot: 5 out of 5 stars
Characters: 3 out of 5 stars
Reading Immersion: 4 out 5 stars
BOOK RATING: 4.25 out of 5 stars
SENSITIVE READER: There are a couple of "iffy" spots - one or two curse words and an implied sexual scene, but, really, I don't think that it will offend almost anyone. by Julie Smith