Mason and McCall Smith's Law and Medical EthicsPaperback
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 2 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: Oxford University Press
- Format: Paperback | 776 pages
- Dimensions: 168mm x 244mm x 38mm | 1,160g
- Publication date: 24 July 2013
- Publication City/Country: Oxford
- ISBN 10: 0199659907
- ISBN 13: 9780199659906
- Edition: 9, Revised
- Edition statement: 9th Revised edition
- Sales rank: 316,865
This classic textbook has provided students of medical law and ethics with a framework for exploring this fascinating subject for over 25 years. Providing coverage of all of the topics found on medical law courses, it gives an overview of the inter-relationship between ethical medical practice and the law. The authors, both hugely experienced and influential in the field, offer their own opinions on current debates and controversies, and thereby encourage readers to formulate their own views and arguments. As a still-developing discipline, medical law is significantly shaped by the courts, and as such this book provides extensive coverage of recent judicial decisions as well as statutory developments. This edition continues to take a comparative approach, with particular importance attached to the shift in influence from transatlantic jurisdictions to those of the EU. This book has continually evolved to reflect changes in the law and shifting ethical opinions - this ninth edition continues to fulfil this remit and is essential reading for any serious medical law student or practitioner, as well as being of interest to all those involved in the delivery and control of modern healthcare.
Other books in this category
$51.65 - Save $12.56 19% off - RRP $64.21
$32.60 - Save $8.12 19% off - RRP $40.72
$188.43 - Save $30.89 14% off - RRP $219.32
$34.10 - Save $5.05 12% off - RRP $39.15
$10.18 - Save $2.34 18% off - RRP $12.52
Graeme Laurie is Professor of Medical Jurisprudence at the University of Edinburgh and Founding Director of the JK Mason Institute for Medicine, Life Sciences and the Law.
Table of contents
1. Medical ethics and medical practice ; 2. Public Health and the state-patient relationship ; 3. Health rights and obligations in the European Union ; 4. Consent to treatment ; 5. Liability for medical injury ; 6. Medical confidentiality ; 7. Genetic information and the law ; 8. The management of infertility and childlessness ; 9. The control of fertility ; 10. Civil and criminal liability in reproductive medicine ; 11. Health resources and dilemmas in treatment ; 12. Treatment of the aged ; 13. Mental health and human rights ; 14. The body as property ; 15. Medical futility ; 16. The diagnosis of death ; 17. The donation of organs and transplantation ; 18. Euthanasia and assistance in dying ; 19. Biomedical human research and experimentation ; 20. Research on children, fetuses and embryos