Managing School Attendance: Successful Intervention Strategies for Reducing TruancyPaperback
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 2 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: ROUTLEDGE
- Format: Paperback | 248 pages
- Dimensions: 174mm x 244mm x 16mm | 420g
- Publication date: 29 August 2013
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 0415854474
- ISBN 13: 9780415854474
- Illustrations note: 12 black & white illustrations, 42 black & white tables, 12 black & white line drawings
- Sales rank: 1,567,175
Teachers and governments all agree that if you wish to raise educational standards then it's imperative to improve school attendance, and yet an average of around ten per cent of secondary pupils are missing school on a daily basis. Despite governments around the globe trying to address this situation, any improvements have been negligible and improvements in school attendance have been stubbornly hard to achieve. As an internationally recognised expert on this topic, Professor Ken Reid offers workable, practical solutions to help schools improve attendance and to reduce non-attendance and truancy at government level, school and local authority level, individual pupil level and at the family level. Underpinned by the very latest research, but expanded upon with an accessible, practitioner focus, the issues covered by this topical text include: The causes of non-attendance and truancy Successful interventions and the evidence from research Reflections on the attempts to find national solutions Implementing home-school solutions An agenda for the future Supporting throughout with case-studies and workable solutions to the most demanding of situations, this book will be essential reading for head teachers, deputy head teachers, teachers and any educational professional eager to raise standards for all.
Other people who viewed this bought:
Other books in this category
USD$26.15 - Save $4.62 15% off - RRP $30.77
USD$24.27 - Save $6.50 21% off - RRP $30.77
USD$6.00 - Save $2.99 33% off - RRP $8.99
USD$22.41 - Save $4.59 17% off - RRP $27.00
Professor Ken Reid has spent a lifetime in this field and was awarded an OBE for his Services to Education by the Queen in 2010 for this work. He has written over 150 articles in academic journals based on his research in this & related fields and he was the Chair of the Welsh Assembly Government Review into School Behaviour and Attendance and has more recently, written a special Report for the Minister of Education and Skills in Wales on this subject. He is currently the Advisor to the Welsh Government on school behaviour & attendance. He has previously published several books for Routledge.
Table of contents
1. Introduction: An overview of School Attendance 2. The causes of non-attendance & truancy 3. Reflections on National Initiatives: The attempts to find national solutions 4. What needs to be done 5. Successful Interventions: The Evidence from research 6. Towards School-Based Solutions: Managing attendance properly 7. Some school change strategies on Attendance: better monitoring & outcomes 8. Case studies 9. Individual Pupil Initiatives 10 Home-School Solutions 11. A future agenda 12. Managing school attendance & combating non-attendance: Conclusions