- Publisher: Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Format: Paperback | 192 pages
- Dimensions: 154mm x 212mm x 16mm | 240g
- Publication date: 23 January 2007
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 0826490735
- ISBN 13: 9780826490735
- Sales rank: 52,933
This "Guide for the Perplexed" provides an advanced introduction to literary theory from basic information and orientation for the uninformed leading on to more sophisticated readings. It engages directly with the difficulty many students find intimidating, asking 'What is "Literary Theory"?' and offering a clear, concise, accessible guide to the major theories and theorists, including: humanism; structuralism; poststructuralism; psychoanalytic approaches; feminist approaches; queer theory; ideology and discourse; new historicism; race and postcolonialism; and postmodernism. The final chapter points to new directions in literary and cultural theory.
Other people who viewed this bought:
Other books in this category
USD$11.95 - Save $4.73 28% off - RRP $16.68
USD$11.24 - Save $9.92 46% off - RRP $21.16
Mary Klages is Associate Professor in the English Department at the University of Colorado at Boulder, USA.
"For students who are faced with literary theory for the first time, it would be hard to find a better introduction that Klages' demystifying guide." Mark Y. Herring, American Reference Books Annual, 2008, Vol. 39--Sanford Lakoff
Table of contents
1. What is "Literary Theory?"; 2. Humanist Literary Theory; 3. Structuralism; Interlude: Humanism, Structuralism, Poststructuralism; 4. Deconstruction; 5. Psychoanalyses; Interlude: 'Self' to 'Subject'; 6. Feminisms; 7. Queer Theory; Interlude: History to Historicism; 8. Ideology and Discourse; 9. Race and Postcolonialist Theories; 10. Postmodernism; Coda - 'Now what?'; Bibliography; Index.