- Publisher: Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Format: Paperback | 432 pages
- Dimensions: 190mm x 242mm x 26mm | 898g
- Publication date: 15 March 2009
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 1847063675
- ISBN 13: 9781847063670
- Illustrations note: 50 bw illustrations
- Sales rank: 28,755
"Linguistics" is a fresh and contemporary introductory textbook for all students of linguistics and language studies. Firmly based around taught courses and catering to student needs, it addresses all the topics that a student will need in their initial and subsequent study of language.With key terms, further reading, questions at the end of each chapter, exercises and key paragraphs in stand-out boxes, this is a firmly pedagogic text that takes difficult concepts and explains them in an easy to understand way. Examples are taken from a range of languages across the world. Global in its scope and comprehensive in its coverage, this is the textbook of choice for linguistics students.
Other people who viewed this bought:
Other books in this category
USD$23.19 - Save $4.10 15% off - RRP $27.29
USD$10.27 - Save $4.88 32% off - RRP $15.15
USD$22.13 - Save $8.19 27% off - RRP $30.32
USD$50.90 - Save $3.70 (6%) - RRP $54.60
USD$14.67 - Save $5.03 25% off - RRP $19.70
Professor William McGregor is at the University of Aarhus, Denmark.
McGregor's prose is clear... his explanations are articulate enough to convey the essential content, while devoid of tortuous, off-putting syntax... the thirteen chapters contain plenty of linguistic examples and clever illustrations [and] the text is pedagogically friendly. McGregor has delivered a concise compendium, uncluttered and accessible, pedagogically well thought through, and innovative in its theoretical approach to presenting the material. Instructors, students, and language buffs alike are encouraged to give it a gander.--Sanford Lakoff
Table of contents
1. Introduction; I. Language: System and Structure; 2. Sounds of Language: Phonetics and Phonology; 3. Structures of Words: Morphology; 4. Lexicon; 5. Structure of Sentences: Syntax; 6. Meaning in Language: Semantics and Pragmatics; II. Language: A Human Phenomenon; 7. Sociolinguistics: Language in its Social Context; 8. Psycholinguistics: Language, the Mind and the Brain; 9. Language Acquisition; 10. Language in its Biological Context; III. Language: Uniformity and Diversity; 11. Unity and Diversity in Language Structure: Language Universals; 12. Language Change; 13. Languages of the World; Bibliography; Index.