Late Classical and Hellenistic Silver Plate from MacedoniaHardback Oxford Monographs on Classical Archaeology
List price $157.09
Unavailable - AbeBooks may have this title.
- Publisher: Oxford University Press
- Format: Hardback | 352 pages
- Dimensions: 226mm x 277mm x 25mm | 1,315g
- Publication date: 1 September 2011
- Publication City/Country: Oxford
- ISBN 10: 0199550441
- ISBN 13: 9780199550449
- Edition statement: New.
- Illustrations note: 171 b&w illustrations
- Sales rank: 1,122,739
This is the first comprehensive and fully illustrated study of silver vessels from ancient Macedonia from the 4th to the 2nd centuries BC. These precious vessels formed part of dining sets owned by the royal family and the elite and have been discovered in the tombs of their owners. Eleni Zimi presents 171 artifacts in a full-length study of form, decoration, inscriptions and manufacturing techniques, set against contemporary comparanda in other media (clay, bronze, glass). She adopts an art historical and sociological approach to the archaeological evidence and demonstrates that the use of silver vessels as an expression of wealth and a status symbol is not only connected with the wealth spread in the empire after Alexander's the Great expedition to the East, but constitutes a practice reflecting the opulence and appreciation for luxury at least in the Macedonian court from the reign of Philip II onwards.
Other books in this category
USD$3.73 - Save $1.51 28% off - RRP $5.24
USD$19.64 - Save $8.77 30% off - RRP $28.41
USD$6.94 - Save $5.01 41% off - RRP $11.95
USD$17.76 - Save $7.66 30% off - RRP $25.42
USD$6.81 - Save $0.24 (3%) - RRP $7.05
USD$62.48 - Save $12.32 16% off - RRP $74.80
Eleni Zimi is Lecturer in Classical Archaeology, Department of History and Archaeology, University of Crete.
Table of contents
1. Introduction ; 2. Macedonian Silver Plate in Perspective ; 3. Forms ; 4. Chronology ; 5. Inscriptions ; 6. Technique ; 7. Epilogue ; GAZETTEER OF SITES AND OF TOMB ASSEMBLAGES ; CATALOGUE