The Judas Brief: Who Really Killed Jesus?Hardback
List price $33.34
You save $24.58 73% off
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 6 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Format: Hardback | 256 pages
- Dimensions: 229mm x 229mm x 30mm | 567g
- Publication date: 26 July 2007
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 0826489990
- ISBN 13: 9780826489999
- Sales rank: 808,986
"The Judas Brief" challenges the fundamental Gospel concept that at least some leading Jews played a key role in having Jesus executed. Gary Greenberg provides a detailed examination of all Gospel accounts of hostile interaction between Jesus and the Jews, with special attention to the Jewish and Roman trials of Jesus. He then compares these Gospel reports with the historical evidence and reaches some surprising and controversial conclusions, including that: there was never any organized Jewish hostility to Jesus; the only significant opposition came from Roman authorities and that Judas was a close ally of Jesus and represented him in negotiations with the High Priest; that the High Priest tried to protect Jesus and his followers from a Roman initiated massacre. Greenburg contends that Jesus willingly agreed to surrender himself to Pilate as a hostage to insure that his followers remained passive during the holiday; that Judas and Caiaphas had expected that Jesus would be released after the holiday and that Judas committed suicide in grief over the unexpected death of Jesus and the role he had played. "The Judas Brief" may well provide modern Christian scholars and exegetes with some of the tools necessary to challenge the anti-Semitic reactions that flow from the Gospel accounts of Jewish hostility to Jesus.
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$19.76 - Save $6.47 24% off - RRP $26.23
USD$14.78 - Save $3.71 20% off - RRP $18.49
USD$18.21 - Save $8.02 30% off - RRP $26.23
USD$20.50 - Save $16.56 44% off - RRP $37.06
USD$12.87 - Save $2.59 16% off - RRP $15.46
Other books in this category
USD$11.96 - Save $4.04 25% off - RRP $16.00
USD$11.85 - Save $5.14 30% off - RRP $16.99
USD$18.12 - Save $1.98 (9%) - RRP $20.10
USD$10.88 - Save $3.03 21% off - RRP $13.91
Gary Greenberg is the author of four books on biblical and ancient Near Eastern history and has served as President of the Biblical Archaeology Society of New York for several years. He is a criminal defense attorney in New York.
'A fascinating read posing deep questions about some of the basic concepts of Jesus and his mission.'--Sanford Lakoff
Table of contents
1. Judas in the Dock; Pilate in the Choir; 2. The Gospels: History or Speculation; 3. Jewish Factions and Roman Reactions; 4. The Baptist and the Scapegoat; 5. The Kingdom and the Message; 6. A Matter of Blasphemy; 7. An Accusation of Demonic Possession; 8: The Sabbath Death Threat: An Overview of the Problem; 9. The Synoptic Sabbath Stories; 10. The Johannine Sabbath Stories; 11. Was Jesus tried and Acquitted for Violating the Sabbath?; 12. A Prophet Without Honor; 13. The Jews in Q; 14. Other Interactions Between Jesus and the Jews Before the Passion; 15. Who Do They Say I Am? A Turning Point in the Mission; 16. Jesus in Jerusalem; 17. Judas and the Arrest of Jesus; 18. The Jewish Trial of Jesus; 19. The Roman Trial of Jesus; 20. What Really Happened?; 21. Did Paul Help Pilate Kill Jesus?