The Iron HeelPaperback Dover Books on Literature & Drama
- Publisher: Dover Publications Inc.
- Format: Paperback | 208 pages
- Dimensions: 161mm x 229mm x 10mm | 222g
- Publication date: 22 September 2009
- Publication City/Country: New York
- ISBN 10: 0486473651
- ISBN 13: 9780486473659
- Sales rank: 43,168
The Iron Heel treads upon the faces of the poor. Determined to crush the working class at any cost, the brutal dictatorship incites a paranoid atmosphere of witch-hunting hysteria, employing gangs of thugs to stifle free speech. Avis Everhard, wife of a labor leader, narrates this gripping novel. In moving terms, she reveals the wretched poverty that props up aristocratic wealth and recounts the desperate struggles of revolutionaries against the insidious rise of the Iron Heel. George Orwell hailed this prescient tale as "a truer prophecy of the future than either "Brave New World" or "The Shape of Things to Come."" Written more than a century ago, Jack London's harrowing vision of class warfare and a totalitarian state anticipates the development of fascism, the spread of terrorism, and the oppressive forces of government surveillance and authority. A short novel with remarkable depth, it continues to resonate with modern readers as both a satire and a warning.
Other people who viewed this bought:
$8.03 - Save $4.46 35% off - RRP $12.49
$8.08 - Save $0.91 10% off - RRP $8.99
$7.73 - Save $0.11 (1%) - RRP $7.84
$8.36 - Save $4.19 33% off - RRP $12.55
Other books in this category
$19.47 - Save $7.22 27% off - RRP $26.69
$11.49 - Save $6.26 35% off - RRP $17.75
$11.25 - Save $1.30 10% off - RRP $12.55
$12.27 - Save $1.86 13% off - RRP $14.13
$10.17 - Save $3.96 28% off - RRP $14.13
Novelist, journalist, and social activist Jack London (1876-1916) rose from abject poverty to international fame. The bestselling, highest-paid, and most popular author of his era, London created a substantial body of work in his short life, drawing upon his experiences as a cannery worker, sailor, railroad hobo, and prospector.
Table of contents
1. My Eagle2. Challenges3. Jackson's Arm4. Slaves of the Machine5. The Philomaths6. Adumbrations7. The Bishop's Vision8. The Machine-Breakers9. The Mathematics of a Dream10. The Vortex11. The Great Adventure12. The Bishop13. The General Strike14. The Beginning of the End15. Last Days16. The End17. The Scarlet Livery18. In the Shadow of Sonoma19. Transformation20. A Lost Oligarch21. The Roaring Abysmal Beast22. The Chicago Commune23. The People of the Abyss24. Nightmare25. The Terrorists