Illyricum in Roman Politics, 229BC-AD68Hardback
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 2 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS
- Format: Hardback | 242 pages
- Dimensions: 152mm x 230mm x 20mm | 540g
- Publication date: 31 March 2010
- Publication City/Country: Cambridge
- ISBN 10: 0521194199
- ISBN 13: 9780521194198
- Illustrations note: 4 b/w illus. 3 maps
Illyricum, in the western Balkan peninsula, was a strategically important area of the Roman Empire where the process of Roman imperialism began early and lasted for several centuries. Dzino here examines Roman political conduct in Illyricum; the development of Illyricum in Roman political discourse; and the beginning of the process that would integrate Illyricum into the Roman Empire and wider networks of the Mediterranean world. In addition, he also explores the different narrative histories, from the romanocentric narrative of power and Roman military conquest, which dominate the available sources, to other, earlier scholarly interpretations of events.
Other books in this category
USD$13.21 - Save $3.42 20% off - RRP $16.63
USD$10.77 - Save $2.83 20% off - RRP $13.60
USD$8.55 - Save $3.54 29% off - RRP $12.09
USD$16.65 - Save $1.49 (8%) - RRP $18.14
USD$9.99 - Save $3.61 26% off - RRP $13.60
USD$12.00 - Save $1.60 11% off - RRP $13.60
Danijel Dzino is Visiting Research Fellow at the University of Adelaide.
Table of contents
1. Introduction, approaches, review of sources and secondary literature; 2. Illyricum in Roman foreign affairs: historical outline, theoretical approaches and geography; 3. Roman trans-Adriatic engagement (229-168 BC); 4. Rome across the Adriatic in the late Republic (167-59 BC); 5. The construction of Illyricum: Caesar in Illyricum and the civil war (59-44 BC); 6. Octavian in Illyricum; 7. From senatorial to imperial Illyricum: Bellum Pannonicum; 8. The failure of Greater Illyricum: the Bellum Batonianum; 9. Iulio-Claudians in Illyricum: the tale of two provinces; Conclusion. The construction of Illyricum in Roman political discourse; Timeline; Bibliography; Index.