The Home Run Heard 'Round the World: The Dramatic Story of the 1951 Giants-Dodgers Pennant RaceHardback Dover Baseball
List price $18.75
You save $7.22 38% off
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 2 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: Dover Publications Inc.
- Format: Hardback | 256 pages
- Dimensions: 155mm x 231mm x 18mm | 363g
- Publication date: 17 March 2011
- Publication City/Country: New York
- ISBN 10: 0486480585
- ISBN 13: 9780486480589
- Edition statement: Dover.
- Sales rank: 917,482
"The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!" On October 3, 1951, broadcaster Russ Hodges alerted the world to the New York Giants' incredible come-from-behind triumph over their crosstown rivals, the Brooklyn Dodgers, in the National League playoffs. A three-run homer in the ninth inning off the bat of Bobby Thomson sealed the Giants' victory, bringing a memorable end to one of the most exciting pennant races in major league history. Sports historian Ray Robinson examines the circumstances surrounding this unforgettable moment, in a narrative packed with suspense, nostalgia, and insightful anecdotes about legendary players. A cast of larger-than-life characters includes the Giants' controversial manager, Leo Durocher, brawler Eddie Stanky, Sal "The Barber" Maglie, and sensational rookie Willie Mays, in addition to the Dodgers' famed Boys of Summer lineup. This edition features 16 pages of photos and a brief Preface by Bob Costas. "Thrilling ... this book is a winner." -- "Library Journal."
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$20.82 - Save $4.68 18% off - RRP $25.50
USD$14.47 - Save $2.03 12% off - RRP $16.50
USD$32.33 - Save $5.16 13% off - RRP $37.49
USD$17.25 - Save $2.70 13% off - RRP $19.95
USD$20.56 - Save $9.44 31% off - RRP $30.00
Other books in this category
USD$10.58 - Save $5.92 35% off - RRP $16.50
USD$7.97 - Save $2.52 24% off - RRP $10.49
USD$11.51 - Save $3.48 23% off - RRP $14.99
USD$20.61 - Save $6.39 23% off - RRP $27.00
USD$12.88 - Save $9.62 42% off - RRP $22.50
USD$13.15 - Save $6.35 32% off - RRP $19.50
Table of contents
1. 19512. The Feud3. Durocher and His Giants4. The Outfielders5. In this Corner-Charlie Dressen6. The Dodgers7. Duke, Carl, and the Others8. That Spring9. A Bad Start10. The Coming of Willie11. The Season Rolls On12. The Winning Streak13. September14. Two Weeks to Go15. The Final Weekend16. The Play-offs17. The Home Run Heard 'Round the World18. The Aftermath19. Where Were You When Thomson connected?