The Greek Philosophers: From Thales to AristotlePaperback Up
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 4 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: ROUTLEDGE
- Format: Paperback | 176 pages
- Dimensions: 128mm x 192mm x 16mm | 240g
- Publication date: 1 May 1968
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 0415040256
- ISBN 13: 9780415040259
- Edition: New edition
- Edition statement: New
- Illustrations note: black & white illustrations
- Sales rank: 600,913
W.K.C. Guthrie has written a survey of the great age of Greek philosophy - from Thales to Aristotle - which combines comprehensiveness with brevity. Without pre-supposing a knowledge of Greek or the Classics, he sets out to explain the ideas of Plato and Aristotle in the light of their predecessors rather than their successors, and to describe the characteristic features of the Greek way of thinking and outlook on the world. Thus The Greek Philosophers provides excellent background material for the general reader - as well as providing a firm basis for specialist studies.
Other people who viewed this bought:
Other books in this category
USD$5.37 - Save $2.10 28% off - RRP $7.47
USD$9.68 - Save $3.78 28% off - RRP $13.46
USD$8.47 - Save $3.49 29% off - RRP $11.96
USD$6.72 - Save $6.74 50% off - RRP $13.46
USD$10.93 - Save $2.53 18% off - RRP $13.46
USD$5.22 - Save $3.75 41% off - RRP $8.97
W.K.C. Guthrie was formerly Laurence Professor of Ancient Philosophy in the University of Cambridge.
Table of contents
1. Greek ways of thinking, 2. Matter and Form (Ionians and Pythagoreans), 3. The Problem of Motion (Heraclitus, Parmenides and the Pluralists), 4. The Reaction towards Humanism (The Sophists and Socrates), 5. Plato (I) The Doctrine of Ideas, 6. Plato (II) Ethical and Theological Answers to the Sophists, 7. Aristotle (I) The Aristotelian Universe, 8. Aristotle (II) Human Beings, Suggestions for Further Reading, Index.