Greece in the Making, 1200-479 B.C.: The Greek City Under ConstructionPaperback Routledge History of the Ancient World
List price $35.39
Unavailable - AbeBooks may have this title.
- Publisher: ROUTLEDGE
- Format: Paperback | 416 pages
- Dimensions: 150mm x 234mm x 25mm | 885g
- Publication date: 1 November 1996
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 041503583X
- ISBN 13: 9780415035835
- Illustrations note: 26 line drawings, 62 b&w photographs
- Sales rank: 1,020,685
Greece in the Making 1200-479 B.C. shows how we can write the history of this period, and the insights which can be gained by doing so for our understanding of later periods of history. It goes beyond tradition and exploits the literature, art, and archaeology of the period. Richly illustrated, this book makes much new information readily accessible and puts the reader in touch with the latest scholarship on the subject.
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$18.95 - Save $0.98 (4%) - RRP $19.93
USD$78.40 - Save $9.34 10% off - RRP $87.74
USD$37.97 - Save $0.50 (1%) - RRP $38.47
USD$39.21 - Save $0.80 (1%) - RRP $40.01
Other books in this category
USD$11.16 - Save $4.22 27% off - RRP $15.38
USD$9.97 - Save $3.87 27% off - RRP $13.84
USD$9.24 - Save $3.06 24% off - RRP $12.30
USD$13.95 - Save $2.97 17% off - RRP $16.92
USD$11.11 - Save $4.27 27% off - RRP $15.38
"It is nicely illustrated. On the whole, it is very informative and clearly written account of early Greece, reflecting the most recent scholarship."-The Journal of Indo-European Studies ..."Osborne's provocative approach to many of the broad-ranging problems of political structure and class conflict in early Greece make for stimulating reading, and it is hard to see how Osborne's views could have been presented in a format other than a general historical survey. His book is sure to draw renewed attention to this most fascinating period of ancient Greece ."-"Bryn Mawr Classical Review "This is a major accomplishment, with rich, bibliographic essays to complement an instructive and fascinating text "Religious Studies Review."
Table of contents
1. The Traditions of History, 2. The Problem of Beginnings, 3. Setting the Stage, 4. Forming Communities: the eigth century B.C., 5. The World of Hesiod and of Homer, 6. Reforming Communities: the seventh century, 7. The Greek World in 600 B.C., 8. Inter-relating Cities: the short sixth century (600-520 B.C.), 9. The Transformation of Archaic Greece 529-479 B.C.