The German Fleet at War, 1939-1945Paperback
List price $31.35
You save $12.78 40% off
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 2 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: Naval Institute Press
- Format: Paperback | 342 pages
- Dimensions: 147mm x 226mm x 23mm | 454g
- Publication date: 15 September 2011
- Publication City/Country: Annopolis
- ISBN 10: 1591146437
- ISBN 13: 9781591146438
- Illustrations note: photo section
- Sales rank: 314,835
* A unique overview of the German and Allied navies at war that provides new appreciation of their activities and accomplishments The German Fleet at War relates the little-known history of the Kriegsmarine's surface fleet with a focus on the sixty-nine surface naval battles fought by Germany's major warships against the large warships of the British, French, American, Polish, Soviet, Norwegian and Greek navies. It emphasises operational details but also paints a broad overview of the naval war. The German Fleet at War is a serious, well researched work, but the pacing is rapid and appeals to all level of readers. Histories emphasise famous actions, like those involving Bismarck or Graf Spee, at the expense of equally interesting, but obscure actions. This distorts the record and an understanding of the war at sea. The German Fleet at War is a reference work, relating in both tabular and narrative format details that do not appear in any other single volume available in English. It provides a database of naval engagements for comparison and analysis, but unlike most reference works, it has a continuous narrative and a theme. The result is a unique overview of the German and Allied navies at war that provides new appreciation of their activities and accomplishments.
Other people who viewed this bought:
$33.67 - Save $9.54 22% off - RRP $43.21
$24.89 - Save $6.53 20% off - RRP $31.42
$24.13 - Save $13.56 35% off - RRP $37.69
$18.54 - Save $12.10 39% off - RRP $30.64
$12.04 - Save $2.09 14% off - RRP $14.13
Other books in this category
Vincent P. O'Hara is an independent scholar and the author of five books including On Seas Contested: the Seven Great Navies of the Second World War and The Struggle for the Middle Sea: The Great Navies at War in the Mediterranean 1940-1945. Mr. O'Hara's work appears in periodicals and annuals including Warship, MHQ, World War II Quarterly and Storia Militare. He holds a history degree from the University of California, Berkeley.