Geotechnical Engineering of DamsHardback
List price $310.71
Unavailable - AbeBooks may have this title.
- Publisher: Taylor & Francis Ltd
- Format: Hardback | 912 pages
- Dimensions: 180mm x 254mm x 61mm | 2,018g
- Publication date: 1 July 2005
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 041536440X
- ISBN 13: 9780415364409
- Sales rank: 472,796
Geotechnical Engineering of Dams provides a comprehensive text on the geotechnical and geological aspects of the investigations for and the design and construction of new dams. In addition, much attention is paid to the review and assessment of existing dams. The main emphasis of this work is on embankment dams, but much of the text, particularly those parts related to geology, can be used for concrete gravity and arch dams. All phases of investigation, design and construction of a dam are covered. Detailed descriptions are given from the initial site assessment and site investigation program through to the preliminary and detailed design phases and, ultimately, the construction phase. The assessment of existing dams, including the assessment of the likelihood of internal erosion and piping analysis of risks posed by those dams, is also presented. This valuable source on dam engineering incorporates the collective experience of the authors, each of whom has more than thirty-five years experience in the subject area. Design methods are presented in combination with their theoretical basis, to enable the reader to develop a proper understanding of the possibilities and limitations of a method. For its practical, well-founded approach, this work can serve as a useful guide for professional dam engineers and engineering geologists and as a textbook for university students.
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$78.37 - Save $9.44 10% off - RRP $87.81
USD$246.94 - Save $0.72 - RRP $247.66
USD$44.89 - Save $0.06 - RRP $44.95
USD$98.09 - Save $10.73 (9%) - RRP $108.82
Other books in this category
USD$246.94 - Save $0.72 - RRP $247.66
USD$63.13 - Save $2.90 (4%) - RRP $66.03
USD$33.91 - Save $3.61 (9%) - RRP $37.52
Robin Fell is Professor of Civil Engineering at the University of New South Wales and also works as a consultant. He has 38 years of experience in geotechnical engineering of dams, landslides and civil and mining projects in Australia and Asia. He has worked on over 100 dams worldwide and has been involved in all aspects of planning, site investigation, design and construction of embankment dams. Patrick MacGregor is a Consulting Engineering Geologist with more than 40 years experience in the assessment of geological constraints for major civil engineering projects in a number of countries. He has been involved in dam investigation, design and construction, and particularly worked on hydroelectric developments at all stages from inception to operation. David Stapledon spent many years on the investigation of large dam construction sites in various countries. He was a Professor of Engineering Geology at the University of South Australia (1964 -1993) and worked as a Consultant in Engineering Geology, contributing to major dam projects in Australia, New Zealand and South East Asia. He has 51 years of experience and was awarded the John Jaeger Memorial Medal for Contributions to Geomechanics in 1995. Graeme Bell has been a Consulting Dam Engineer since 1962. His role has varied from providing the full technical input, design management and construction advice for new dams to the preparation of complex structural analyses of existing dams. From 1979, he has acted as an independent reviewer on many dam projects, mainly in Australia, but also on several overseas locations.
Table of contents
1. Introduction 2. Key Geological Issues 3. Geotechnical Questions Associated with Various Geological Environments 4. Planning, Conducting and Reporting of Geotechnical Investigations 5. Site Investigation Techniques 6. Shear Strength, Compressibility and Permeability of Embankment Materials and Soil Foundations 7. Clay Mineralogy, Soil Properties, and Dispersive Soils 8. Embankment Dams, their Zoning and Selection 9. Design, Specification and Construction of Filters 10. Control of Seepage, Internal Erosion and Piping for Embankment Dams 11. Analysis of Stability and Deformations 12. Design of Embankment Dams to Withstand Earthquakes 13. Embankment Dam Details 14. Specification and Quality Control of Earthfill and Rockfill 15. Concrete Face Rockfill Dams 16. Concrete Gravity Dams and their Foundations 17. Foundation Preparation and Cleanup for Embankment and Concrete Dams 18. Foundation Grouting 19. Mine and Industrial Dams 20. Monitoring and Surveillance of Embankment Dams.