Folding Techniques for Designers: From Sheet to FormPaperback
List price $30.97
You save $7.62 24% off
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 2 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: Laurence King Publishing
- Format: Paperback | 224 pages
- Dimensions: 216mm x 216mm x 25mm | 726g
- Publication date: 5 September 2011
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 1856697215
- ISBN 13: 9781856697217
- Sales rank: 1,437
Many designers use folding techniques in their work to make three-dimensional forms from two-dimensional sheets of fabric, cardboard, plastic, metal and many other materials. This unique book explains the key techniques of folding, such as pleated surfaces, curved folding and crumpling. An elegant, practical handbook, it covers over 70 techniques explained by clear step-by-step drawings, crease pattern drawings, and specially commissioned photography. This book will be accompanied by a CD containing all the crease pattern drawings.
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$16.55 - Save $8.21 33% off - RRP $24.76
USD$19.05 - Save $11.92 38% off - RRP $30.97
USD$17.76 - Save $5.45 23% off - RRP $23.21
USD$18.04 - Save $12.93 41% off - RRP $30.97
USD$19.13 - Save $8.74 31% off - RRP $27.87
USD$15.10 - Save $8.17 35% off - RRP $23.27
Other books in this category
USD$23.25 - Save $7.78 25% off - RRP $31.03
USD$21.42 - Save $4.96 18% off - RRP $26.38
USD$11.43 - Save $4.08 26% off - RRP $15.51
USD$15.37 - Save $6.35 29% off - RRP $21.72
USD$30.88 - Save $7.85 20% off - RRP $38.73
Paul Jackson has been a professional paper folder and paper artist since 1982 and is the author of 30 books on paper arts and crafts. He has taught the techniques of folding on more than 150 university-level design courses in the UK, Germany, Belgium, the US, Canada and Israel. These include courses in Architecture, Graphic Design, Fashion Design, Textile Design, Jewellery, Product Design, Packaging, Ceramics, Industrial Design, Fine Art, Basic Design and Interior Design. He has also taught many workshops in museums, arts centres and festivals and has worked as 'folding consultant' for companies such as Nike and Siemens.
By Lucy Hawkes 06 Jun 2013
This is one of those rare books, you stubble upon them by accident and and your life is changed a little. I would say it is an essential for artists and designers.
It has changed my practice and given me a wonderful understanding of most basic of mediums, paper.
A terrific book to own.
Table of contents
1. Basics 1.1 Divisions 1.2 Symmetrical Repeats 1.3 Stretch and Skew 1.4 Using Different Polygons 2. Basic Pleats 2.1 Accordion Pleats 2.2 Knife Pleats 2.3 Box Pleats 2.4 Progressive Pleats 3. Other Pleats 3.1 Spiral Pleats 3.2 Closed Pleats 3.3 Twisted Pleats 4. V-Pleats 4.1 Making By Hand 4.2 Variations 4.3 Multiple Vs 4.4 Grid Vs 4.5 Cylindrical Vs 4.6 Complex Surfaces 5. Spans and Parabolas 5.1 X-form Spans 5.2 V-fold Spans 5.3 Parabolas 6. Boxes and Bowls 6.1 Boxes: Flat Box, Gusset Box, Square Gusset Box, Hemmed Box, Hemmed Box Variations, Masu Box, Masu Box Variations, Facted Box 6.2 Bowl Forms 7. No Crease, One Crease 7.1 No Crease 7.2 One Crease 8. Crumpling 8.1 The Basic Technique 8.2 Parallel Crumples 8.3 Rotational Crumpling 8.4 Crumpling Pre-made 3D Forms 9. How to Develop Your Own Folding