English Phonology and Pronunciation TeachingPaperback
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 1 business day
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: Continuum Publishing Corporation
- Format: Paperback | 370 pages
- Dimensions: 186mm x 246mm x 24mm | 699g
- Publication date: 5 May 2011
- Publication City/Country: New York
- ISBN 10: 0826424031
- ISBN 13: 9780826424037
- Illustrations note: 1, black & white illustrations
- Sales rank: 215,726
This book aims to provide a clear description of key aspects of English phonology in order to help teachers diagnose and prioritize problem areas in pronunciation. It also aims to develop an awareness of current issues and relevant research in the field to inform teachers decisions, not only about what to teach, but how to teach pronunciation, particularly in EIL contexts. Specifically, it aims to enable readers to: * Understand key terms and concepts in phonology and phonetics *Become aware of current issues and debates in research and apply these to pronunciation teaching, particularly in EIL contexts *Conduct phonological analysis of learner language, including phonemic transcription *Diagnose and assess learner's pronunciation difficulties and needs *Plan a structured pronunciation syllabus The book assumes no prior knowledge and is a key resource for both newcomers and experienced practitioners in the fields of English Language Teaching as well as students of applied linguistics.
Add item to wishlist
Other books in this category
USD$29.35 - Save $13.29 31% off - RRP $42.64
USD$6.88 - Save $3.79 35% off - RRP $10.67
USD$17.72 - Save $2.11 10% off - RRP $19.83
USD$8.88 - Save $0.12 (1%) - RRP $9.00
Dr Pamela Rogerson-Revell is at the School of Education, University of Leicester, UK
"I very much enjoyed reading this book. It provides very interesting discussions of up to date issues in pronunciation teaching and learning as well as covering the phonology and phonetics of English in a highly informative and clear way. I particularly appreciated the activities and this is certainly a book I would like to use on the next phonology and pronunciation course I teach. I think it will liven things up no end!"--Sanford Lakoff
Table of contents
1. Introduction; 2. Research and pronunciation learning and teaching; 3. Speech sounds; 4. English consonants; 5. English vowels; 6. Phonemes in context; 7. Syllable structure; 8. Phonology review 1; 9. Word stress; 10. Features of connected speech; 11. Intonation; 12. Phonology review 2; 13. Pronunciation in the classroom; 14. Pronunciation teaching - some questions and answers; 15. Pronunciation problem areas; References; Further Resources; Key to activities and reviews; Glossary; Index.