The Documentary Film Maker's Handbook: The Ultimate Guide to Documentary FilmmakingPaperback
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 2 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: Continuum Publishing Corporation
- Format: Paperback | 512 pages
- Dimensions: 137mm x 213mm x 33mm | 748g
- Publication date: 12 July 2012
- Publication City/Country: New York
- ISBN 10: 1441183671
- ISBN 13: 9781441183675
- Edition: 2, Revised
- Edition statement: 2nd Revised edition
- Illustrations note: 100 bw illustrations
- Sales rank: 267,091
This is a comprehensive, advice-packed handbook to the world of low-budget, DIY documentary filmmaking - filled with interviews and case studies. Documentary films have enjoyed a huge resurgence over the last few years, and there's a new generation of filmmakers wanting to get involved. In addition, the digital revolution has made documentaries even more accessible to the general filmmaker. This brand new, fully-updated edition of "The Documentary Film Makers Handbook" features incisive and helpful interviews with dozens of industry professionals, on subjects as diverse as interview techniques, the NBC News Archive, music rights, setting up your own company, the Film Arts Foundation, pitching your proposal, the Sundance Documentary Fund, the Documentary Channel, the British Film Council, camera hire, filmmaking ethics, and online marketing and distribution. The book also includes in-depth case studies of some of the most successful and acclaimed documentary films of recent years, including "The Cove", "Babies", "At the Edge of the World", "Last Train Home" and many more. "The Documentary Film Makers Handbook, 2nd Edition" is an essential resource for anyone who wants to know more about breaking into this exciting field.
Other books in this category
$18.74 - Save $6.31 25% off - RRP $25.05
$25.86 - Save $3.89 13% off - RRP $29.75
$24.25 - Save $3.93 13% off - RRP $28.18
$24.89 - Save $11.13 30% off - RRP $36.02
$31.49 - Save $6.11 16% off - RRP $37.60
$36.56 - Save $18.27 33% off - RRP $54.83
Andrew Zinnes has worked in development at Paramount Pictures and at USA Networks. He left to become a script analyst, and worked for Morgan Creek Productions, Artisan and several script analyst companies. Using his documentary filmmaking experience, Andrew was the perfect co-author for The Documentary Film Makers Handbook. He has taught documentary at the NY Film Academy and has lectured on filmmaking at schools and colleges around the US. He is a founding partner of the film company Crazee Pictures. Genevieve Jolliffe met Chris Jones at film school and the two went into independent filmmaking through their production company, Living Spirit Pictures. She directed their third film together, Urban Ghost Story, in 1998. After moving to Los Angeles, Genevieve was a major force in pulling together the US edition of The Guerilla Film Makers Handbook, and she also co-authored The Documentary Film Makers Handbook in 2006. With her husband and screenwriting partner Andrew Zinnes, she has sold projects to Warner Bros and has two indie features set to be filmed in 2010.
Table of contents
1. Training: American University - Pat Aufderhiede; Berkeley School of Journalism & documentary - Jon Else; Documentary Center - Nina Seavey; Sundance Labs - Cara Mertes; 2. Legal: Setting Up A Company - Stephen Sheppard; Fair Use - Michael Donaldson; Music Rights - Brooke Wentz; The Pocket Lawyer for Filmmakers - Thomas A. Crowell; 3. Research & Development: The Documentary Doctor - Fernanda Rossi; Finding Your Subject - Mark Harris, Kees Bakker; Ethics Researcher - Rosemary Rotondi; Archives - Nancy Cole; Proposals - Morrie Warshawski; Open Pitching - Michellea McClean; Fundraising - Carol Dean; 4. Organizations: IDA - Michael Lumpkin; IFP-NY - Milton Tabbot; Docuclub - Susan Kaplan & Mary Kerr; San Francisco Film Society; Women Make Movies - Debbie Zimmerman; DOCULINK, The D Word, Documentaryfilms.net; 5. Doc Writing: Storytelling - Andrew Zinnes; Documentary Storytelling - Sheila Curran Bernard; Writing a treatment; Writing narration; 6. Funding Bodies: Gucci Tribeca Documentary Fund; Paul Robeson Fund - Ron Hanfd; ITVS - Claire Aguilar; NY State Council for the Arts - Karen Helmerson; California Documentary Project - Susana Loza; NEH - Michael Shirley; NEA - Ted Libbey; Niche Funding bodies - Hartley Film Foundation; Bell Broadcast and New Media Fund; Chicken and Egg Productions; 7. Broadcasters: WGBH - Denise Diianni; HBO - Nancy Abraham; Discovery Networks - Kevin Bennett; PBS - Paula Kerger; The Documentary Channel - National Geographic Channel - Heather Moran/Juliet Blake; MTV - Lisa Hackett; Sundance Channel - Christian Vesper; CBC Documentary Unit/TransCanada Development Fund- Jerry McIntosh; The Documentary Channel - Michael Burns; 8. Production Companies: National Geographic Feature Films - David Beal; POV - Simon Kilmurry; Independent Lens - Lois Vossen; Cactus 3 - Julie Goldman, Krysanne Katsoolis, Caroline Stevens; NFL Films/ NFL network - Steve Sabol; Areitis/ Reality TV - Paco Aguilar; 9. Global Perspective: EDN - Cecilia Lidin; Channel 4 - Simon Dickson; The Channel Four BritDoc Foundation - Maxyne Franklin; Shooting People - Jess Search; BBC Storyville - Jo Lapping; ARTE; TV-2 - Mette Hoffmann Meyer; Finnish Film Foundation - Miia Haavisto; Israel & Palestine - Philippa Kowarsky; Thailand - Thunska Pansittivorakul; Mexico - Elena Fuentes; South America - Amir Lubacki; Australia - Wendy Halloway; Egypt - Tahani Rached; Saudi Arabia - Danya Alhamiani, Dania Nassiet; Eggdancer Productions; Nordic - Tobia Janson, Hanna Bjork Valsdotter; Italy - Raffaele Brunetti/ Italian Doc Screenings; 10. Production & Post: Producer - Agi Orsi; Insurance - Kent Hamilton; Animation/CGI documentary; Producing the Non Profit Doc - Becky Rolnick; HD Camera Equipment - Cortney Webb/ Image Craft; DSLRS - Vincent Lafloret; DP - Joan Churchill; IMAX DP - Greg MacGillvray; Production Sound - Alan Barker; The Travel Doc Host - Ian Wright; The Lab - Russ Suniewyk; The Digital Lab - Larry Schmitt; The Editor - Paul Crowder; The Composer - Miriam Cutler; The Sound Mixer - Mark Rozett; 11. Film Festivals Marketing: Full Frame Festival; Silverdocs - Patricia Finnernan; Sundance - Caroline Libresco; HotDocs - Stephanie McArthur; Sheffield Documentary Film Festival - Charlie Philips; Film Festival World/documentary; IDFA - David Tiegler; The Producer's Rep - Josh Braun; The Publicist - David Magdael; Marketing - Sheri Candler; Designing Your Website; 12. Sales & Distribution: The Sales Rep - Jan Rofekamp/Film Transit; The Distributor - Zeitgeist Films; DVD Distribution - Ellen Capon; Education Distribution - Cynthia Close, DER; Boutique Distribution - BuzzTaxi Communications Natalie Vinet; Indie Theater - John Vanco; Museum Distribution - Bo Smith; VIMEO; Brave New Films - Robert Greenwald; DIY Distribution - Peter Broderick; Mediarights.org - Katy Chevigny; Distribution Models - Jon Reiss; Blogging - Around The Block (Doug Block); IndieFlix, FilmBuff, Alive Mind, KinoSmith, SnagFilms; 13. The Long View: The Detective - Nick Broomfield; Listen Up! - Michael Apted; Queen Of The Doc - Barbara Kopple; Seek The Truth - St. Clair Bourne; Actual Reality - R.J. Culter; 14. Case Studies: Monica and David; The Cove; Paper Promises; Bad Writing; Babies; At the Edge of the World; BBC Earth; Hard Knocks; Marwencol; For Once in My Life; Last Train Home; 12th & Delaware; Diary of a Times Square Thief;; The Kids Grow Up; Short Documentary - Bout; Short Documentaries - Eva Webber; Sean McAllister - Japan; A story of Love and Hate.