- Publisher: Continuum Publishing Corporation
- Format: Paperback | 288 pages
- Dimensions: 188mm x 238mm x 22mm | 560g
- Publication date: 1 November 2012
- Publication City/Country: New York
- ISBN 10: 1441167625
- ISBN 13: 9781441167620
- Edition: 2
- Edition statement: 2nd edition
- Sales rank: 92,681
This is the new edition of Discourse Analysis: An Introduction, an accessible and widely-used introduction to the analysis of discourse. In its ten chapters the book examines different approaches to discourse, looking at discourse and society, discourse and pragmatics, discourse and genre, discourse and conversation, discourse grammar, corpus-based approaches to discourse and critical discourse analysis. The book includes the following features: -A full companion website, featuring student and lecturer resources -A new chapter on multimodal discourse analysis -Chapter summaries outlining the key areas covered -Updated examples drawn from film, television, the media and everyday life -Explanations of technical terms in each chapter -Discussion tasks and data analysis projects at the end of each chapter -Student exercises and answer keys for each chapter -Suggestions for further reading. This engagingly written introduction to discourse analysis is essential for students encountering discourse analysis for the first time, whether at undergraduate or postgraduate level. It should be on every reading list.
Add item to wishlist
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$32.43 - Save $0.37 (1%) - RRP $32.80
USD$34.88 - Save $5.73 14% off - RRP $40.61
USD$51.29 - Save $1.83 (3%) - RRP $53.12
Other books in this category
USD$10.52 - Save $5.47 34% off - RRP $15.99
USD$12.60 - Save $3.01 19% off - RRP $15.61
USD$10.44 - Save $3.61 25% off - RRP $14.05
USD$17.11 - Save $6.31 26% off - RRP $23.42
USD$10.36 - Save $3.69 26% off - RRP $14.05
USD$13.00 - Save $10.42 44% off - RRP $23.42
Brian Paltridge is Professor of TESOL at the University of Sydney, Australia.
reviewed in The Linguist List--, "Linguist List "
Table of contents
1. What is discourse analysis?; 2. Discourse and society; 3. Discourse and pragmatics; 4. Discourse and genre; 5. Discourse and conversation; 6. Discourse grammar; 7. Corpus approaches to discourse analysis; 8. Multimodal discourse analysis; 9. Critical discourse analysis; 10. Doing discourse analysis; Bibliography; Appendix: Answers to the exercises; Glossary; Index.