The Cults of the Greek StatesPaperback Cambridge Library Collection: Classics
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 3 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS
- Format: Paperback | 412 pages
- Dimensions: 145mm x 216mm x 28mm | 522g
- Publication date: 15 July 2010
- Publication City/Country: Cambridge
- ISBN 10: 1108015441
- ISBN 13: 9781108015448
- Edition: 1
- Illustrations note: 34 b/w illus.
Lewis Richard Farnell's five-volume The Cults of the Greek States, first published between 1896 and 1909, disentangles classical Greek mythology and religion, since the latter had often been overlooked by nineteenth-century English scholars. Farnell describes the cults of the most significant Greek gods in order to establish their zones of influence, and outlines the personality, monuments, and ideal types associated with each deity. He also resolutely avoids the question of divine origins and focuses instead on the culture surrounding each cult, a position which initially drew some criticism, but which allowed him more space to analyse the religious practices themselves. Written to facilitate a comparative approach to Greek gods, his work is still regularly cited today for its impressive collection of data about the worship of the most popular deities. Volume 2 focuses on the cults of Artemis, Adrasteia, Hekate, Eileithyia, and Aphrodite.
Other people who viewed this bought:
Other books in this category
USD$8.57 - Save $4.88 36% off - RRP $13.45
USD$17.37 - Save $12.55 41% off - RRP $29.92
USD$14.53 - Save $7.90 35% off - RRP $22.43
USD$25.73 - Save $11.60 31% off - RRP $37.33
USD$15.65 - Save $9.77 38% off - RRP $25.42
USD$15.89 - Save $8.03 33% off - RRP $23.92
Table of contents
13. Artemis; 14. Artemis, Upis, Nemesis; 15. Adrasteia; 16. Hekate; 17. Monuments of the cult of Artemis; 18. Ideal types of Artemis; 19. Hekate: representations in art; 20. Eileithyia; 21. Aphrodite-worship; 22. Monuments of Aphrodite; 23. Ideal types of Aphrodite.