Conserving America's Neighborhoods (Paperback)
$90.09 - Save $26.17 22% off - RRP $116.26 Free delivery worldwide Available
Dispatched in 3 business days When will my order arrive?
DescriptionOver the years I have conducted numerous neighborhood studies, alternately focusing on specific geographic areas, public programs, and types of citizen actions. Because most of these efforts were done on a project-by-project basiS, it did not readily occur to me that these separate investigations also represented an aggregate statement about American neighborhoods: the con- tinuing and complex relationship between public policy and neighborhood life. A suggestion by Lloyd Rodwin, the senior editor for this series, prOvided the opportunity to reexamine the various manuscripts, and to select (and in some cases, conSiderably edit) those bearing most on this overall theme. Thus each of the chapters in this book is a commentary on the potential uses of public policy for preserving the most cherished aspect of contemporary neigh- borhoods-the social life within them. In some cases the policy actions may have only an indirect effect on neighborhoods. For instance, a whole portion of the book is devoted to the role of research in understanding neighborhood conditions; public policy is relevant because research, these days, has itself become a public policy enterprise. In other cases the policy effects are direct and pervasive-the support of citizen organizations, the delivery of neigh- borhood services, and the provision of timely and relevant information to residents. I do not know whether the relationship between public policy and neigh- borhoods is the same or as intimate outside the United States.
- Published: 26 November 2012
- Format: Paperback 218 pages
- ISBN 13: 9781468440331 ISBN 10: 1468440330
$42.24 - Save $6.20 12% off - RRP $48.44
$9.90 - Save $2.94 22% off - RRP $12.84
$16.63 - Save $2.33 12% off - RRP $18.96
$16.13 - Save $16.08 49% off - RRP $32.21
$16.89 - Save $5.10 23% off - RRP $21.99
Full bibliographic data for Conserving America's Neighborhoods
- Conserving America's Neighborhoods
- Authors and contributors
- Physical properties
- Format: Paperback
Number of pages: 218
Width: 152 mm
Height: 229 mm
Thickness: 11 mm
Weight: 299 g
- ISBN 13: 9781468440331
ISBN 10: 1468440330
B&T Book Type: NF
BIC E4L: GAR
Nielsen BookScan Product Class 3: T11.2
BIC subject category V2: WM
B&T Merchandise Category: TXT
B&T General Subject: 750
LC classification: HM
Warengruppen-Systematik des deutschen Buchhandels: 17440
Ingram Subject Code: GI
Abridged Dewey: 301
BISAC V2.8: SOC026000, GAR000000
- Edition statement
- Softcover Reprint of the Origi ed.
- Illustrations note
- black & white illustrations
- Springer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Imprint name
- Springer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Publication date
- 26 November 2012
- Publication City/Country
- New York, NY
- Table of contents
- I Citizen Initiatives.- 1 Correlates of Power in Citizen Organizations.- 2 How Citizens Influence Their Municipal Services.- 3 Patrolling the Neighborhood Beat.- 4 Revenue Sharing with the Community Sector?.- II Government Initiatives.- 5 Neighborhood Service Delivery: Historical Development and the Crisis of the 1960s.- 6 The (In)equity of Information Systems in Education.- 7 Can Public Housing Help?.- 8 The Neighborhood Library as an Information and Referral Center.- III Research Initiatives.- 9 Neighborhood Fad-Gathering: How Can We Study Neighborhoods Better?.- 10 Using Participant-Observation to Study Urban Neighborhoods.- 11 Fire Alarms as Urban Social Indicators.- 12 Improving the Evaluation of Neighborhood Intervention Programs.