Christianity in the Land of the Pharaohs: The Coptic Orthodox ChurchHardback
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 3 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: ROUTLEDGE
- Format: Hardback | 336 pages
- Dimensions: 159mm x 243mm x 24mm | 853g
- Publication date: 1 November 2002
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 0415242533
- ISBN 13: 9780415242530
- Edition statement: New.
- Illustrations note: b/w illus
The Copts - the indigenous Christians of Egypt - declared their independence from Byzantine Christianity when they appointed their own patriarchs in the sixth century. Jill Kamil has written an angaging and accessible survey of the history of Christianity on Egypt, through its development under Rome, Byzantium and Islam, to modern times. Drawing on personal travel to all the Christian sites of Egypt, and conversations with scholars, monks, museum directors, and scores of lay Egyptians both Copt and Muslim, the author tells us about the fundamental importance of Coptic religion and culture in Egypt. Weaving together historical research with absorbing stories, she explores questions as: * How did Christianity suceed in an Egypt that already had an established religion which had lasted for more than 300 years? * What part did Egypt play in the evolvement of the early Christian movement? * What led the Copts to develop monasticism? * Why were there so many Egyptian martyrs? * What caused the Coptic Church to break away from the rest of orthodox Christianity in the sixth century AD? Lavishly illustrated with more than 120 photographs, drawings and maps, Christianity in the Land of the Pharaohs offers a captivating insight into a side if Egypt that will be new to many readers. It is ideal not only for students of Egyptian history and Christianity, as well as those with a more general interst in Egypt's past and present.
Other books in this category
USD$16.41 - Save $3.02 15% off - RRP $19.43
USD$14.66 - Save $4.77 24% off - RRP $19.43
USD$15.28 - Save $7.15 31% off - RRP $22.43
USD$15.84 - Save $9.58 37% off - RRP $25.42
USD$11.03 - Save $2.42 17% off - RRP $13.45
USD$12.30 - Save $5.64 31% off - RRP $17.94
'Jill Kamil has provided us with an important resource for Coptic Studies ... At her sharpest and best, Jill Kamil can be described as the finest agent provocateur of Coptic Studies.' - Watani
Table of contents
1. Worship of the Holy Virgin and the Holy Family in Egypt 2. Desert Fathers Ancient and Modern 3. Oppression and Faith under Roman Rule 4. Knowledge versus Faith 5. Martyrs and Pachomian Monasticism 6. The War against Paganism and Christian Reflection of its Art 7. Conversion, Controversy and National Identity 8. Coptic Christianity Develops its Own Style 9. Change and Continuity under Islam 10. Restoration and Revival Epilogue Glossary Bibliography Appendix - Saints and Martyrs