Child Pornography: Law and PolicyHardback
- Publisher: Routledge Cavendish
- Format: Hardback | 392 pages
- Dimensions: 154mm x 236mm x 28mm | 739g
- Publication date: 13 July 2011
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 0415499879
- ISBN 13: 9780415499873
- Edition statement: New.
- Illustrations note: 1 black & white illustrations, 15 black & white tables
- Sales rank: 915,386
Child Pornography: Law and Policy draws on interdisciplinary work in order to critically address the law relating to child pornography. Child pornography is recognized as a specific form of child abuse and there are now many national, and international, efforts to tackle it. Yet despite these efforts, the volume of child pornography, particularly on the internet, is increasing. The law has reacted to this situation by adapting its definitions, increasing sentences and providing new powers to law enforcement. It is, however, unclear how far the law should extend. What should the relationship be between criminalization and free-speech? Is there a link between the "use" of child pornography and contact offending? The issue of child pornography has been the subject of considerable literature in the areas of psychology, sociology and psychiatry. These studies provide the basis for a greater understanding of the nature of child pornography, as well as the profiles and behaviour of those who access or produce such material. Child Pornography: Law and Policy brings this wider literature to bear on the legal and policy frameworks relating to child pornography, questioning both the appropriateness and the effectiveness of the law in this context.
Other books in this category
USD$21.59 - Save $8.60 28% off - RRP $30.19
USD$12.73 - Save $3.90 23% off - RRP $16.63
USD$20.93 - Save $9.26 30% off - RRP $30.19
Alisdair A. Gillespie is Professor of Criminal Law and Justice at Leicester De Montfort Law School where he primarily teaches Criminal Law. His specialist research interest is the law relating to child sexual exploitation, particularly where facilitated by communication technologies.
Table of contents
1. Introduction Part 1: Definitions 2. What is child pornography? 3. Indecent Photographs of Children 4. Other Legal Definitions 5. Virtual Child Pornography Part 2: Offending 6. Indecent Photographs 7. Other Approaches to Child Pornography Offences 8. Non-Photographic Prohibited Images 9. Young People and Child Pornography 10. Sentencing Child Pornography Offenders Part 3: Policing Child Pornography 11. The International Dimension 12. Policing Child Pornography Part 4: Conclusion 13. Conclusion