Caesar: A BiographyPaperback
List price $24.82
You save $5.54 22% off
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 3 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: BASIC BOOKS
- Format: Paperback | 544 pages
- Dimensions: 152mm x 229mm x 41mm | 590g
- Publication date: 31 January 1997
- Publication City/Country: New York
- ISBN 10: 046500895X
- ISBN 13: 9780465008957
- Illustrations note: b/w ill.
- Sales rank: 310,908
As politician and diplomat, writer and lover, but above all as a military genius, Julius Caesar is one of the perennially fascinating figures in historyBoswell called him the greatest man of any age. Christian Meiers authoritative and accessible biography is the definitive modern account of Caesars life and career, setting Caesars life story against the rich political and social background of the Late Roman Republic.
Add item to wishlist
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$13.04 - Save $4.02 23% off - RRP $17.06
USD$53.98 - Save $12.74 19% off - RRP $66.72
USD$19.38 - Save $5.44 21% off - RRP $24.82
USD$12.99 - Save $4.07 23% off - RRP $17.06
USD$15.43 - Save $4.73 23% off - RRP $20.16
Other books in this category
USD$6.89 - Save $2.41 25% off - RRP $9.30
USD$8.75 - Save $3.65 29% off - RRP $12.40
USD$5.26 - Save $4.04 43% off - RRP $9.30
USD$20.92 - Save $5.45 20% off - RRP $26.37
USD$11.41 - Save $2.54 18% off - RRP $13.95
USD$9.90 - Save $2.50 20% off - RRP $12.40
Christian Meier is Professor of Ancient History at the University of Munich. He is one of Europe's leading authorities on the Late Roman Republic and is the author of "The Greek Discovery of Politics" and "The Political Art of Greek Tragedy."
Table of contents
* Caesar and Rome: Two Realities * Caesars Fascination * Crisis and Outsiders * Birth and Family * Youth in Rome * The Second Decade: Experience of the Civil War and First Commitment * The First Test: the Experience of Rome in the Decade after the Restoration (78-70 BC) * The Political Rise of the Outsider (69-60 BC) * Crisis and Tensions: Catos Authority, Pompeys Difficulty, Caesars Problem * The Consulship (59 BC) * Achievement in Gaul * Political Successes, Spectacular Campaigns, the First Reverses (56 to the Beginning of 51 BC) * Caesars Gallic World * The Crisis of Caesars Governorship (49 BC) * The Process of the Crisis without Alternative, Caesars Right to the Civil War, his Greatness * The Civil War * The Italian Campaign and the Policy of Clemency * The First Spanish Campaign and the Second Visit to Rome (April-December 49 BC) * The Greek Campaign (until September 48 BC) * The Campaign in the East and Sojourn in Egypt (September 48-September 47 BC) * Two Months in Rome (October-November 48 BC) * The African Campaign, The Death of Cato * Failure After Victory * Caesar in Rome * The Spanish Campaign; the Dispute about the Dead Cato, the Decision to Make War on the Parthians * In Rome for the Last Time: from the Spanish Triumph to the Ides of March (44 BC) * Afterword * Afterword to the Third German Paperback Edition