Building St PaulsHardback
List price $19.96
You save $4.82 24% off
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 3 business days
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: Thames & Hudson Ltd
- Format: Hardback | 176 pages
- Dimensions: 140mm x 218mm x 24mm | 422g
- Publication date: 21 January 2008
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 050034244X
- ISBN 13: 9780500342442
- Illustrations note: 52 illustrations, 11 in colour
- Sales rank: 525,680
"Building St Pauls" tells the story of this remarkable building and of those responsible for its construction, from the time of the disastrous Great Fire to the cathedrals final completion in 1708. Christopher Wren is well known, yet this book also considers those ordinary craftsmen whose work on St Pauls has received less attention: the contractors and overseers, the quarrymen on the Isle of Portland, the humble stonemasons and carpenters who shaped the materials. It also unravels the complicated tangle of the cathedrals finances and the struggles for money that at one time threatened to undermine the whole enterprise. By looking at such details, Campbells account reaffirms St Pauls not only as one mans masterwork, but as an incredible collaborative achievement.
Add item to wishlist
Other books in this category
USD$35.47 - Save $10.69 23% off - RRP $46.16
USD$9.99 - Save $0.78 (7%) - RRP $10.77
USD$10.99 - Save $4.41 28% off - RRP $15.40
USD$26.45 - Save $12.01 31% off - RRP $38.46
USD$13.15 - Save $2.85 17% off - RRP $16.00
USD$23.34 - Save $5.93 20% off - RRP $29.27
James W. P. Campbell is Fellow of Architecture and History of Art at Queens' College, Cambridge. Among his previous books is the highly acclaimed Brick: A World History, published by Thames & Hudson in 2003.
Table of contents
1. A New Dome for London; 2. The Astronomer Architect; 3. Fire and Destruction; 4. Models, Designs and Warrants; 5. The Demolition Men; 6. Life in the Office ofWorks; 7. The Phoenix Rising; 8. Financing the Works; 9. The Wealth of Masons; 10. Carpenters and Scaffolding; 11. Getting Materials; 12. Collapsing Vaults and Flying Buttresses; 13. The Race to Finish the Choir; 14. Roofing the Cathedral; 15. Designing the Dome; 16. Catenary Curves and Parabolic Conoids; 17. The Telescope in the Tower; 18. Frauds and Abuses; 19. The Cathedral Completed.