Australian Sign Language (Auslan): An Introduction to Sign Language LinguisticsPaperback
Free delivery worldwide
Dispatched in 1 business day
When will my order arrive?
- Publisher: CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS
- Format: Paperback | 332 pages
- Dimensions: 150mm x 228mm x 22mm | 522g
- Publication date: 28 February 2007
- Publication City/Country: Cambridge
- ISBN 10: 0521540569
- ISBN 13: 9780521540568
- Sales rank: 21,533
This is first comprehensive introduction to the linguistics of Auslan, the sign language of Australia. Assuming no prior background in language study, it explores each key aspect of the structure of Auslan, providing an accessible overview of its grammar (how sentences are structured), phonology (the building blocks of signs), morphology (the structure of signs), lexicon (vocabulary), semantics (how meaning is created), and discourse (how Auslan is used in context). The authors also discuss a range of myths and misunderstandings about sign languages, provide an insight into the history and development of Auslan, and show how Auslan is related to other sign languages, such as those used in Britain, the USA and New Zealand. Complete with clear illustrations of the signs in use and useful further reading lists, this is an ideal resource for anyone interested in Auslan, as well as those seeking a clear, general introduction to sign language linguistics.
Add item to wishlist
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$47.46 - Save $5.29 10% off - RRP $52.75
USD$7.98 - Save $0.01 - RRP $7.99
USD$9.03 - Save $1.82 16% off - RRP $10.85
USD$11.08 - Save $1.32 10% off - RRP $12.40
USD$18.97 - Save $10.50 35% off - RRP $29.47
Other books in this category
USD$8.99 - Save $4.96 35% off - RRP $13.95
USD$8.94 - Save $0.36 (3%) - RRP $9.30
USD$20.16 - Save $10.86 35% off - RRP $31.02
USD$13.60 - Save $1.90 12% off - RRP $15.50
USD$16.13 - Save $4.03 19% off - RRP $20.16
USD$23.79 - Save $1.03 (4%) - RRP $24.82
Trevor Johnston is Associate Professor in the Department of Linguistics, Macquarie University. Adam Schembri is Senior Research Fellow at the Deafness, Cognition and Language Research Centre at University College London.
Table of contents
1. Signed languages and linguistics; 2. Auslan in social context; 3. Auslan and other signed languages; 4. Phonetics and phonology: the building blocks of signs; 5. Morphology: sign formation and modification; 6. Lexicon: the structure of Auslan vocabulary; 7. Syntax: the structure of sentences in Auslan; 8. Semantics and pragmatics: sign meaning and sentence meaning; 9. Discourse: structure and use above the sentence; 10. Issues in the study of signed languages.