Aspects of Roman History, A.D.14-117Paperback
List price $37.40
Unavailable - AbeBooks may have this title.
- Publisher: ROUTLEDGE
- Format: Paperback | 368 pages
- Dimensions: 140mm x 212mm x 22mm | 458g
- Publication date: 1 July 1998
- Publication City/Country: London
- ISBN 10: 0415132371
- ISBN 13: 9780415132374
- Illustrations note: maps, charts, figures, tables, illustrations, glossary
- Sales rank: 174,434
"Aspects of Roman History AD 14-117" charts the history of the Roman Imperial period, from the establishment of the Augustan principate to the reign of Trajan, providing a basic chronological framework of the main events and introductory outlines of the major issues of the period. The first half of the book outlines the linear development of the Roman Empire, emperor by emperor, accenting the military and political events. The second half of the book concentrates on important themes which apply to the period as a whole, such as the religious, economic and social functioning of the Roman Empire. It includes: a discussion of the primary sources of Roman Imperial history; and clearly laid out chapters on different themes of the Roman Empire such as patronage, religion, the role of the senate, the army and the position of women and slaves. Designed for easy cross-referencing with the chronological outline of events, it contains maps and illustrations, and a guide to further reading. Richard Alston's highly accessible book is designed specifically for students with little previous experience of studying ancient/Roman history. "Aspects of Roman History" provides an invaluable introduction to Roman Imperial history, which will allow students to gain an overview of the period and will be an indispensable aid to note-taking, essay preparation and examination revision.
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$16.36 - Save $0.09 - RRP $16.45
USD$28.56 - Save $5.85 17% off - RRP $34.41
USD$39.47 - Save $2.42 (5%) - RRP $41.89
USD$21.43 - Save $8.57 28% off - RRP $30.00
Other books in this category
USD$10.85 - Save $4.10 27% off - RRP $14.95
USD$10.15 - Save $4.80 32% off - RRP $14.95
USD$3.73 - Save $1.51 28% off - RRP $5.24
USD$14.61 - Save $0.34 (2%) - RRP $14.95
USD$8.98 - Save $2.98 24% off - RRP $11.96
USD$13.56 - Save $2.89 17% off - RRP $16.45
Richard Alston is Lecturer in Roman History at Royal Holloway, University of London. He has also been a senior examiner in ancient history at A-Level. He is the author of Soldier and Society in Roman Egypt: A Social History (Routledge 1995).
Instructors of undergraduate Roman history courses will find much to praise in this work.
Table of contents
1. Aims 2. Tiberius (AD 14--32) 3. Gaius Caligula (AD 37--41) 4. Claudius (AD 41--54) 5. Nero (AD 54--68) 6. Civil Wars: AD 69--70 7. Vespasian and Titus (AD 70--81) 8. Domitian (AD 81--96) 9. Nerva and Trajan (AD 96--117) 10. Society 11. The Economy 12. Administration 13. The Roman Army and Military Policy 14. Women 15. Provinces and Culture: Romanisation and Hellenisation 16. Religion 17. Glossary. Further Reading