- Publisher: CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS
- Format: Paperback | 356 pages
- Dimensions: 180mm x 251mm x 23mm | 839g
- Publication date: 31 December 2009
- Publication City/Country: Cambridge
- ISBN 10: 0521675987
- ISBN 13: 9780521675987
- Edition: 1
- Edition statement: New.
- Illustrations note: 102 b/w illus. 48 colour illus.
- Sales rank: 190,191
This book provides an introduction to one of the greatest civilizations of all time - ancient Egypt. Beginning with a geographical overview that explains the development of Egyptian belief systems as well as its subsequent political development, it examines methodology, the history of the discipline of Egyptology, religion, social organization, urban and rural life, and death. It also includes a section on how people of all ranks lived. Lavishly illustrated, with many unusual photographs of rarely seen sites that are seldom illustrated, this volume is suitable for use in introductory-level courses on ancient Egypt. It offers a variety of student-friendly features, including a glossary, a bibliography, and a list of sources for those who wish to further their interest in ancient Egypt.
Add item to wishlist
Other people who viewed this bought:
USD$34.09 - Save $4.88 12% off - RRP $38.97
USD$40.14 - Save $6.57 14% off - RRP $46.71
USD$68.87 - Save $16.89 19% off - RRP $85.76
Other books in this category
USD$13.52 - Save $3.62 21% off - RRP $17.14
USD$9.59 - Save $4.43 31% off - RRP $14.02
USD$15.94 - Save $2.76 14% off - RRP $18.70
USD$8.27 - Save $4.19 33% off - RRP $12.46
USD$12.30 - Save $1.72 12% off - RRP $14.02
USD$4.02 - Save $2.22 35% off - RRP $6.24
Salima Ikram is Professor of Egyptology at the American University in Cairo. An archaeologist of ancient Egypt, she is the author of several scholarly and popular books, including, most recently, Death and Burial in Ancient Egypt, Divine Creatures: Animal Mummies in Ancient Egypt, and, with A. M. Dodson, The Tomb in Ancient Egypt.
'This is a lovely book, providing an introduction to ancient Egypt and the practice of Egyptology. ... All information is handled in a straightforward, friendly manner, and is easy to read. The book is also peppered with some fabulous colour photographs, illustrations, line drawings and plans where appropriate. There are also numerous text boxes throughout each chapter, all within a beautiful layout.' www.heritage-key.com 'How refreshing it is to find a new general introduction to ancient Egypt written by a well known and respected Egyptologist! ... I am often asked for recommended reading for anyone new to ancient Egypt and, until the publication of this book at least, I have often struggled to make sensible suggestions, for rarely does one book fit the bill. This book is the answer to that quandary and I am sure that it will become the 'must-read' book for anyone beginning to study the subject, or who wants to find a really good overview in one volume.' Ancient Egypt
Table of contents
1. The black and the red: geography and environment; 2. Travellers, thieves, and scholars: the history of Egyptology and Egyptomania; 3. Recreating Ancient Egypt: sources and methodologies; 4. Shadows in the sand: Egypt's past; 5. Maintaining Egypt: religion; 6. Kings and commoners: Egyptian society and government; 7. Town and country life; 8. From sunrise to sunset: daily life of the Ancient Egyptians; 9. The living and the dead: mummies, tombs, and mortuary.